All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:55 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Nelson
Last Name: Palen
here
Not a bad tool for the money. The workmanship is very slick. How can they build 'em so cheap?
Nelson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:17 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Well it is like this. We build a vertical motion as apposed to horse head or rocker motion pumping unit. It provides more stroke length than a conventional pump jack. They sell for 1.2-1.5 million dollars US. Now we have a joint venture with a company in China to build a economical version of our vertical pumping unit using china forged beams, China made bearings, sheaves and structural steel. They are exactly the same machine out side of the bearing and the where the steel in forged. The China units sell for 650-700 thousand dollars US. One out of every 12 is a piece of junk mainly because of the quality of their bearings So we go through these units when they come in and before they are sold. Like I said we reject 1 out of every 12.

My point is that china is able to produce and sell really cheap because of the low quality control of component parts, very low labor cost and here is the biggie government subsidation and protection from liability. IE insurance costs. you can't sue one of their manufacturers because is is not allowed by the communist government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

I forgot to say because they produce their components at low cost due to volume and low QC expenditure 1 in 12 will likely be a piece of junk and the rest may make a workable tool. If you get one of these use some machinist blocks and angles to verify the accuracy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:30 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Phila
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
CHINESE! Being it from harbor frieght it's most likely low quality. I have bought c clamps there that have broke under hand preasure and other items like a oscilating drum sander whose motor crapped out after 6 months. You get whatt you pay for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I can't speak for this item in particular, but I buy a fair amount of stuff from HF. You just gotta be selective. One item, in particular, that's known as a bargain is their digital calipers. Guys, it's the exact same caliper that many other shops sell from triple the price or so. If you watch out, you can fine them on sale for $15 or so - sometimes $10. And, yes, they are accurate. Same goes, I hear, with their precision dial indicators, etc, I hear.

What I will not buy from HF is their cheaper handheld electric tools or, usually, their benchtop electric tools. I do have a floor model drill press, and bandsaw and use their dust collector. Usually their pnuematic tools are good. Maybe not quite as good as the ones that are triple the price but - hey - thry're triple the price, too.

I agree with MichaelP to verify the accuracy of precision tools. Hopefully that's a given with any make, though. And HF's return policy is probably one of the best in the world. Yep, big statement, but meant literally...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Nelson
Last Name: Palen
Bosch
Amazon/Denali
The Amazon/Denali looks exactly like the Harbor Freight version in a different color.
I'm not a big fan of Chinese measuring tools either but, like I mentioned, the quality of the Harbor Freight unit is astounding for the price. I checked it against a precision machinist square the other day and it read within a tenth of a degree both on the inside and outside of the square.
Nelson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks for the post Nelson! The glass scale tech is getting cheaper and cheaper, but there really isn't much to it in the first place.

I'm kind of in the market for a protractor I might go this way!

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)