Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

If I've made any mistakes in building acoustics, it would be by being a bit to cautious in thinning tops and shaving bracing, but I'd rather err on that side than by trying to make a guitar sound too open, too soon.   I've found that my older, heavier ones do improve like a good wine over a period of several years, and I'm not disappointed by the tone of any of them.   Chops-wise, it's all in how much time I give myself to build. Faster is a bit rougher, and sometimes that's just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:49 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Alex.

There was a lot of glare on the original photo of the ziricote so I increased the contrast a bit.

Warren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
Focus: Build
Rob, I'd say go for it, but I'd also say go to the local hardwood vendor and get some mahogany to cut up into practice sides (can you resaw 5 inch wood?) and do a lot of practice side bending before messing up that set. It is pretty wood indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:04 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Rob,

Here are some general guidelines and suggestions for you to think about beyond the technical challenge of working with this particular wood. Though these are basically my opinions they are principles that guide me as I concept and think through (I do a lot of that) a project.   

-Inlay or ornamentation must be precise and clean. Simplify the ornamentation to the point where you are confident of good results. A simply made guitar of excellent workmanship is far more appealing than an elaborate one showing mediocre fit and finish.

-Consider the degree of ornamentation on the guitar to be inversely proportional to the elaborateness of the materials. Plain wood can carry elaborate trim, wild and complex grain will carry the aesthetic on it's own and will look better set of with simple appointments. 

- Consider a theme or motif and carry it through consistantly in all parts of the instrument. 

Best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You know, you may as go for it if you can afford it. Yeah, you make break a side or something, but if it's really what you want to do, do it.
I can almost guarantee that you'll build another after the first though, as you'll just want to get it right
BTW: the first one can come out nice.