Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:30 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Really, really new!  I honestly don't think I could be any more new than what I am. 

I have been a metal worker for many years now, and I'm ready for a change.  I've built hot rods, various metal projects, and some other things.  Woodworking is something I have been curious about for a while now, and building guitars is at the top of the list.  I have a scroll saw, band saw, and a drill press, but that is really about it as far as tools go.

I live in Cheyenne, WY.  I am in the Air Force, and have been for about 10 years now.  My wife, Emily, and I have been married for 5 years, and we have 9 month old twins.  Silas and Abigail. 

I honestly can't even play a guitar right now, but have always wanted to learn.  I'm sure learning would be helpful to building. 

I would imagine that if this was a job resume, I wouldn't be considered.  But it isn't!  I look forward to reading and learning.  If anyone can offer any helpful tips, book suggestions, websites, or anything else, it would be much appreciated! 

Trey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:38 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Hi Trey and welcome to the OLF!! This will become an obsession if you let it...and IIIIIIIII let it!

First things first...i built my first from a kit and thats what kindled the bug.  I have been in "sponge" mode for about a month now, reading this forum about, oh, every hour or so...I ordered John Mayes DVD's on building and it was money very well spent.  i have bill Cumpiano's book and Johnathan Kinkead's - now I've started on build #2 - from cherry that I've had sitting in the shed for 15 years or so...

You have a lot to ingest, digest, and sort out...but you came to the right place - looking forward to all your questions!

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:41 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hi Trey and welcome to the OLF!

Welcome also to guitar building and I am sure that you will really enjoy the experience.

I started with a kit which came with decent instructions/documentation and that got me hooked.  Great kits can be found from Blues Creek, Stew-Mac, and LMI and all companies have links at the top of this page.

Great to see you here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
Welcome, Trey, to the OLF.  I, too, am a new builder, still on my first.  My build interest is in Classical Guitars, but all guitars interest me.  There is so much information available on this forum, that you will never find it all.  Think of a question, and search the archives.  You'll get a bunch of hits on most of therm.  Every thread has multiple ways to make things happen.  It is a fun place too.  Some people here, and I won't say who, because you'll find out soon enough, also have a pretty twisted sense of humor.  Now who could it be? 

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hey Trey!   (Wow, a rhyme...I'm a "poet and had no idea") Cumpiano is still the "bible" and tradition says you should have a copy, and Kinkeade's great too, well-illustrated and different methods of work than Cumpiano...but for me, the OLF has been far and away the most useful source of information, humor, and at times drama, that I've found since I began building! Don't ever be afraid to ask a question here no matter how elementary you think it may be...and start adding a room to your house now, so that you'll have space for your new obsession!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:53 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bill
Last Name: Greene
City: Kings Mountain
State: North Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 28086
Welcome...glad to have you. Great advice so far in this thread. I look forward to reading your posts.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:09 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tracy
Last Name: Leveque
City: Denver
State: CO
Trey,
Welcome to the OLF! Be sure to surf the archives for information, you will not be disappointed. Also, a lot of new members don't realize that we have bio's of a lot of the members that frequent this forum. All the way at the top of the page you will see the link to the bios' and also the Tools & Jigs and techniques link will help also. If you order a kit from LMI, you get Robert O'briens DVD on how to build a guitar. It is full of great information. Best of luck and post often!
Tracy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Cheyenne Wyoming, man is that ever in the middle of nowhere! I passed through once on my way to Casper to see my Art Teacher from College days.

WELCOME TREY!

My brother was an Air Force guy, navigated one of the old bird C-130's. You gotta love those overseas rotations.

Hey you stick around here and we'll help you spend a lifetime's savings acquiring tools and wood! It's mucho fun. Here ya go, twang!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Hi Trey, and everybody. 

I'm also new here, and new to building.  When I first decided to give it a try about a year ago, I started by just trying to wrap my brain around all the steps involved.  I just worked on getting an understanding of how the body is put together, what all the pieces are, and what they do.  Learning the ideas of how the neck functions, and generally the order things have to happen in.  Eventually everything became clear enough so that I knew what the first few steps would be.  As you get to each step, you can study in more detail in places like this forum the particulars of each process. 

I wanted to steer clear of kits mainly because I had a pretty oddball design in my head already, and I never did like being spoon fed.  I'm willing to break some wood and make some mistakes as I learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:15 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
Welcome, Trey!

If you search the forum archives for tutorial, you'll find a lot of excellent picture-packed tutuorials, many by Hesh. also, look at the web sites of our members here. Many have articles and tutorials. There's also a tutorial page (that I'm hoping will be included in the new forum that is scheduled to appear as early as next week) at http://www.connor.net.au/olftutorial/ generously compiled and hosted by Bob Connor.

Happy spending and building!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:49 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Welcome to our humble comminity It is a great place to be and You can trust any thing we say!

Actually I am even newer. I have never even bought a single set of wood yet. Yea Thats the ticket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:34 am 
Koa
Koa

Welcome Trey! I think if you hang around here for a while you will find lots of information and everything you need to do a great job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Welcome to the forum Trey! Feel free to jump right in and ask questions. We love pictures, so ber sure to post some pictures of your progress too.

Welcome aboard!

Ken H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Good to see you here! This is the place to be if you want to build!!

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Dave
Last Name: Anderson
City: Clearwater
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 33755
Welcome to the best forum for guitar building online,
The OLF! Good Luck with your guitars .