PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:20 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: michael
Last Name: mcclain
City: pendleton
State: sc
Zip/Postal Code: 29670
i would let it sit for more than a week or two. that might be enough for the box but the neck is a different matter. the green on the frets surprizes me. whilst i have seen it on instruments left in basements for a long time i haven't on one left in living quarters for only one summer. what was the fret board?

i hope you are not doing this under warranty? the fool really abused your work.

if the frets are loose when the neck is wet you might want to rethink your fretting. they should be tight in a moisture swollen neck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:44 am 
Koa
Koa

You probably know this but the top does swell when its wet and that raises the bridge as the top rises and of course the action rises too. So that could be part of the reason that the action was high. That, plus the string tension will, over a fairly short period of time, pull the top up some. You may have had those two things working against you.

I'm not sure how you are guaging the looseness of the frets, but if you are looking at the fret ends, remember that the fretboard expands when wet and that may cause the frets to looks like they are falling short of the edges of the fingerboard and give the illusion of looseness. Its hard to diagnose over the internet, but those are considerations.

A lot of this depends on how dry the guitar was when it was set up and how long you keep the guitar around the shop strung up under tension before final setup.

My normal procedure is to allow at least a week under string tension, preferably two (depending in part on the patience of the customer) before I do final setup. I build a guitar at 45% humidity set it up and let the chips fall where they may. Humidity, either excess or a lack thereof, as Crazymanmichael says, is the responsibility of the customer after the guitar is delivered.