Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

Planning a redwood top for a future build and reviewed lots of OLF archive discussions but did not find any comments on bracing.

What bracing materials have you used with redwood? I was thinking Sitka ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

Also wondering about thickness compared to Spruce. Thinner or thicker? I see posts that suggested .11 but then tought I heard thicker is better and suggesting .12

I guess this is dependendent on stiffness and tap.

Any difference in bracing? Saw Zootman post that suggested possible soundhole reinforcement.

I am planning a OM model with standnard bracing including 2 lower trebble braces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Focus: Build
Rich, I have only built with the LS type redwood which is very stiff. I used addy brace stock, and IIFC the tops were around .110 or so. That said, I really don't measure for thickness as much as feel for flex when im thinning them on the sander. Then once again, after its braced and joined to the sides I perimeter sand until I reach a certain feel or flexibility at the bridge location. I'm not sure where everything ends up, I only care what if feels like when its all said and done.

I also use Brazilian bridge patches and am pleased with the sound.

LanceK38786.3237384259

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I know of a builder who regularly builds with redwood who keeps it a lot thicker, more close to .150 for final thickness. I guess it depends on how it flexes and sounds as you tap it and flex while thinning. If it's a floppier piece of wood, you want to go thicker than if you had a really stiff piece. I have a OO going right now with a redwood top, addy braces, and a brw bridge patch. The redwood is reasonably stiff, but not quite as stiff as an LS top. I think it has good potential. We'll see.
I also have some really stiff and super-light redwood brace stock which I might try on another redwood guitar. I like the thought of using braces that are really stiff and super-light. Don Williams38786.4580671296

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:36 am 
Koa
Koa

I think it's best to think of it as being a wood that should be thicker. Like Lance, use your feel and experience in the end but most of the time for me it has seemed like it wanted to be a bit thicker than I would use Sitka. Redwood can have a whole lot of variation from one batch to another so you really have to choose it carefully.
And can someone please tell me- what is "LS" type redood? Sorry, I don't know that one.

http://www.MarkSwansonMusic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Andy
Last Name: Zimmerman
City: San Diego
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92103
I am assuming LS is lutz spruce???
Woops
the LS was a type of redwood????azimmer138786.5716319444

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:49 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

I just started the first of the two curly redwood tops I got from BobC. before bracing I ended up at .140 going by flex. If after bracing it needs more I will thin the appropriate areas during voicing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:54 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

[QUOTE=Mark Swanson] I think it's best to think of it as being a wood that should be thicker. Like Lance, use your feel and experience in the end but most of the time for me it has seemed like it wanted to be a bit thicker than I would use Sitka. Redwood can have a whole lot of variation from one batch to another so you really have to choose it carefully.
And can someone please tell me- what is "LS" type redood? Sorry, I don't know that one. [/QUOTE]

LS is from the Lucky Strike log that Craig Carter was cutting up and selling in the 90's. It is hard to lay hands on, but it is very stiff and the color is dark and very even.

Lance has used it.

You have to pay a king's ransom for it if you can even find someone to sell it to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:54 am 
Koa
Koa

Great feedback guys, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Brock Poling]LS is from the Lucky Strike log...
Lance has used it.
You have to pay a king's ransom for it if you can even find someone to sell it to you.
[/QUOTE]

The good thing is that there is other redwood out there comparable to it in stiffness, taptone, and color.
The LS is certainly wonderful wood, but the mystique it has gained as a result of naming the logs etc. perhaps has artificially inflated its reputation. I have handled and tapped some LS, and it really is fantastic. I have also handled some that looks and feels and rings just like it, that came from other sources.
I personally have bunches...but wouldn't (and couldn't) sell it for the amounts I've heard that some sell LS for. I heard of one person asking $175 a top for some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:17 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi all-- I'm not really a luthier, more of a player. But, I would like to comment. I own a guitar Lance made from the "LS" log-- the SJ style shown on his website and in other places. It's rosewood back and sides with the LS Redwood top, simple rosette, and new headstock. Without question, it is an instrument whose sound is as unique as it is beautiful. I can safely describe it as a "lively" guitar-- the notes "jump" out of it with a "throaty" tone very reminiscent of a certain 1935 D-28 that I spent a few minutes with once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Hi John! What a pleasant surprise to see you here!