PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Focus: Build
man hows that saying go, right tool for the right job. I know most of you know this, bit how good it feels to have a razor sharp bit when cutting a saddle slot. Just today I got a new 1/8" bit from LMI, that thing cut through Ebony like a hot knife through butter! Im using my John How saddle slot jig, and a PC lam trimmer. So fun when things go right! Nothing much more to add.LanceK38359.9241435185

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

number? Hey Lance, this is a fine looking bridge, one more evidence a master luthing job is happening, handmade bridges. Congratulations, I'm not far behind you on this. I like the cool ramp on the ends so smooth from the lower wing to the main body of the bridge. Go Lance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

CA4 End mill, 1/8, 1/4 shank, carbide     $21.45 From LMI, RAZOR Sharp! THe first bridge I cut in 3 passes, the second, ONE pass, that blade is a hot knife, well you get it! Thanks Bruce on the bridge comments, John How set me up with a SWEET bridge making jig, just like the one in the Jigs section, I can make a bridge in about 1 hour. The second part is the tapering of the wings, I do that using my Luthers Friend Jig, if you've not taken a look at that jig, go here LUTHIERS FRIEND LINK
There are so many uses for this jig, I can t list them all, I'M still learning what it can do, If your interested give Ken a call, he a real good guy, at the very least, check out the robosander, which can be purchased separately.LanceK38360.2947569444

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I've been using a 1/8" downcut on a 1/8" shaft and need to change that. Nice bridge Lance, I'm re-designing mine and was thinking of something along the same shape as yours. It's hard coming up with an original shape as there is only so much you can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Paul, I used a 1/8" shank in a dremel, that thing was all over the place! With the 1/4" shank, I was able to change depth and cut again, over and over in the same slot and it ever wavered. My slot it dead perfect side to side. And the ends have a nice smooth radius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Lance, I used the dremel bit in my drill press as an overhead router and found that the slot was always a bit over thick (about .128"). Was no big deal but it meant I had to buy oversized saddle blanks and hand thickness which is a pain. Now I'll make a jig to use a laminate trimmer and that LMI bit. Heck I'm a sometimes luthier and full time jig and pattern maker! Building guitars is the EASY part!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Lance, got it. Paul, so true, we are really Jigmakers, so we can be.... Guitarmakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:01 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'm using 1/8" spiral upcut bits, carbide, 1/4" shank from routerbits.com (whiteside), worked just lovely on my first bridge. Three passes, no probs. Not sure whether the downcut would do a better job, but it was clean, quick, and it cleared the chips nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:59 am 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=LanceK] CA4 End mill, 1/8, 1/4 shank, carbide     $21.45 From LMI, RAZOR Sharp! THe first bridge I cut in 3 passes, the second, ONE pass, that blade is a hot knife, well you get it! Thanks Bruce on the bridge comments, John How set me up with a SWEET bridge making jig, just like the one in the Jigs section, I can make a bridge in about 1 hour. The second part is the tapering of the wings, I do that using my Luthers Friend Jig, if you've not taken a look at that jig, go here LUTHIERS FRIEND LINK
There are so many uses for this jig, I can t list them all, I'M still learning what it can do, If your interested give Ken a call, he a real good guy, at the very least, check out the robosander, which can be purchased separately.[/QUOTE]
Looks like StewMac agrees Lance and they now are selling the "luthiers Friend" thing/jig. Darn... something else I'm going to have to buy!

remember...

"If it doesn't play in tune...it's just pretty wood"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:02 am 
Koa
Koa

P.S. That is a nice bridge design. I like your alignment system...simple and efficent!

remember...

"If it doesn't play in tune...it's just pretty wood"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:13 am 
Site Admin

Yes, Kevin Ko taught me that years ago, draw a straight line down the center of the fretboad, headstock to 20th fret, then a piece if thread taped at each end, dead on center reveals any skew in the neck set, (Ahem!) Cough! I have a little skew