Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:00 am 
Koa
Koa

Lance, Don A, and whoever else was asking...here are a few samples of some the back bracings I have done. Notice my neck block is always the same...

Lance/Brock/Jesse - I really lost a lot of quality trying toget pic size down to 35k can't we make it larger?Dave-SKG38360.4602777778

remember...

"If it doesn't play in tune...it's just pretty wood"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Don
Last Name: Atwood
City: Arlington
State: Virginia
Focus: Build
Thanks for posting the pics Dave. How about a little info on how each modification changed the sound and for what type playing style you use each variation(just general, I'm sure they all different materials).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:47 am 
Koa
Koa

Don, I just wrote a fairly detailed response and the program just dumped me out when I went to post. I am not up to repeating at the moment so here is a the condensed version...
The bubinga box is pretty stiff with both types although a bit looser due to the X and due the fact that I don't brace as Thick as most.
The Coco and Palo Escrito are both much more flexible compared to ladder bracing but not comparable to each other for the obvious reasons. However I feel I did get a better sounding bass and mid response from both. I think it was especially useful on the coco since the coco is so stiff anyway. The Palo is always warmer, midzier. Hard to tell since all had different bracing, tops, bridge material, necks, fretboards. If I can ever build enough of the same someday I guess I will be able to be more definitive. I can say that all three sound quite different. Warmth, Overtones, projection, different. But that would be true if they had all been built exactly the same as well. Even the sound holes are of different sizes. So for now all I can say is ...Different. I like the X back bracing. Remember too...most players press the back against their bodies and that really stiffens up the back as well( or I should say dampens the vibration)...so losening it up seems to be an improvement.Dave-SKG38361.6176157407

remember...

"If it doesn't play in tune...it's just pretty wood"