Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Focus: Build
[QUOTE=Brock Poling] you are an unrefined brute --
[/QUOTE]

Somebody call???

I am with Paul, there is a certain satisfaction in being able to apply a measured level of abusive expression in order to allow one's self to communicate effectively across the full spectrum of Aussie society.

Indeed profanity has an important roll in our day to day communications here in Australia. I know some guys that simply could not comprehend anything you were trying to say to them unless you punctuate with profanities at regular intervals.

It was mentioned that to a lot of cultures this sort of language is considered disrespectful and crass, therefore it's use is limited within those societies.
It is interesting to observe however when meeting one from such a culture when after newly migrated here to Australia and joining the workforce, just how quickly they embrace this particular part of the language.

A few years latter, having now assimilated into multicultural Australian society, most would have retained their traditional religions, culinary taste and custom and unless it's too (according to your level of sensitivity, please insert none offencive expressive word here) hot, even part of their traditional costume.

But now, despite their upbringing, most no longer consider the profanities as disrespectful or crass. Rather they have identified them as very important tools of expression without which they may face malnutrition and or dehydration at a BBQ and certain excommunication in the work place.

Indeed they have now learnt that in the spoken word, the exact same profanity can be deliver a dozen times and convey a dozen different moods and emotions from endearment to abuse depending on just how it was expressed. Profanities have therefore become their pigeon, their stepping stone that will allow them to learn to communicate with ever increasing fluency in the most difficult of all languages to learn.

But of course that is Australia and this is the OLF so when in Rome.... I am with Todd and Brock, even if profanities were acceptable here this is the internet and the written word, the benefits are lost, it simply will not deliver the desired effect.

More importantly profanity is just not wanted here, it is simple as that so lets not do it.

Cheers

Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

I hope I didn't come across as judging character through language or words spoken. That certainly wasn't my intention. I've known and worked with guys who had only a grade school level education, but were some of the most intelligent and hard working block and stone masons, carpenters and electricians you'll ever meet. Swearing was a very regular part of their communication, but they respected my Dad and were happy to abide by his wishes on the job sites.

They understood what he meant about families living nearby enough to hear as voices were raised to be heard over hammering, saws, drills and the general distance between workers in construction. Our bunch had a great reputation for being considerate of those neighbors and loads of calls came for work simply because of it.

It doesn't bother me at all if someone swears around me now, but I still won't tolerate it and address it quickly if my wife or kids are within earshot of it. I have several close friends who were career military men and they truly do have a master's control over the fine art of selecting and applying profanity to drive their point home. They can curl your eyebrows with their language if you're not careful. They're my friends and their character is of as high a caliber as anyone I've ever known. It's just a habit and they can be tough to break or reshape after a long time of yielding to them.

I guess what my Dad lived and taught just stuck with me after hearing it so much day in and day out on the job for years. I've used my share of cuss words in my life, but have just chosen not to for years now. It's tough sometimes to maintain that discipline... especially when the hammer comes down on that thumb.

Sorry again,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars Kevin Gallagher38886.0848958333

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:09 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

I didn't think you were making any value judgements. I understood your point.   

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:36 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I've always gone by "There's a time and a place...", and I've always seen the OLF as not the place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:52 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sorry.old man38885.5608217593

Ron Wisdom

Somewhere in the middle of Arkansas......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

[quote]I've used my share of cuss words in my life, but have just chosen not to for years now.[/quote]

Too bad! I'm way over quota. I was hoping I could borrow from somebody!! Anybody help me out?

Soap? Yummy! Your making me hungry! Mom would put it in the mashed potatoes!      Billy T38885.7166550926

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:23 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Don
Last Name: Atwood
City: Arlington
State: Virginia
Lance, its your excellent forum and we should all play by your excellent rules. Don A38885.7246064815

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks, Todd.

Ron

Ron Wisdom

Somewhere in the middle of Arkansas......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

Kevin,

No need to aplogize, you are right on target. Most folks that I know or have met that use alot of profanity are generally ignorant or have some issues that bad words seem to make them feel bigger, better, more important or in control. I have never had any problem with simply asking the person to refraim from such language around me and mine. Although I fail in this occasionally myself (hammer hitting finger situations) I can't ever see any real call for its use.

Just everyone be nice

Mike
White Oak, Texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

[QUOTE=MSpencer] Most folks that I know or have met that use alot of profanity are generally ignorant or have some issues that bad words seem to make them feel bigger, better, more important or in control. Mike
White Oak, Texas

[/QUOTE]

That's strange Mike, if we are going to generalise here perhaps I should point out that most people I know or have met that can afford the luxury of being offended by mere language (in the presence of women and kids excluded) tend to be very judgemental and show little tolerance toward others.

They seem all too quick to negate and categorise others with their holier than thou attitude. It would seem their obsession with their own narrow view of life simply will not allow them to wait for evidence of a persons true character and intelligence to present itself before they go jump’ in up on their high horse to glare down condescendingly upon the perpetrator as if attempting to some how reinforce their feelings of superiority.

It's a pity really because some of the most trustworthy, staunch, honourable, hardworking, humble, loving, caring, considerate, and tolerant and yes Mike, even intelligent people I have ever met, swear and swear a lot. To put it simply, their actions speak much louder than their words, and that earns a lot more respect from me than good diction ever could.

I mentioned luxury before; I meant that in the following terms. When things are ticking along pretty good in our lives, we can afford little luxuries as we have so many options. But when things go south, I mean when things get really, really tuff, it seems that so much of what was once sooo important suddenly turns to excess baggage.

Like for instance what you won't eat if you’re hungry, what you won't drink if you’re thirsty, and even who you won't talk to if you are lonely. I guess despair is a great leveller, it truly crystallises the concept that all men are created equal, that's probably why we have it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the OLF is no place for profanity. I agree because Lance, our gracious host has made it clear he does not want it here. Further, I understand that if I write it, I have no control over who reads it, simple as that.

But, as I walk through my day to day I will continue to use what ever language I feel will best get my message across to my fellow man in the most effective manner for a given situation. I will do so regardless of how others judge me. I shall do so because whilst I acknowledge that we are all entitle to our opinion, the only ones that I am interested in that relate to myself are those that have been based upon my actions, not my words. To me, any opinion formed on the later is nothing more than excess baggage, I have had times in my life that have allowed me to leave that way behind.

Peace to you all, I swear.

Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

[QUOTE=larkim] [QUOTE=MSpencer] Most folks that I know or have met that use alot of profanity are generally ignorant or have some issues that bad words seem to make them feel bigger, better, more important or in control. Mike
White Oak, Texas

[/QUOTE]

That's strange Mike, if we are going to generalise here perhaps I should point out that most people I know or have met that can afford the luxury of being offended by mere language (in the presence of women and kids excluded) tend to be very judgemental and show little tolerance toward others.
[/quote]

Seconded (although I'd stick to children, and only because of the 'setting an example' sort of thing; most women I know aren't any more offended by swearing than men...)

Swearing's just another way of expressing yourself, and as with any other modality, there are places where it's appropriate, and places where it most certainly isn't.

Mattia