Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh, the first machine is a duplicarver of some sorts. Do you recall who the manufacturer is? The pin tracks the finished neck which guides the router cutter to make a duplicate.

The second is definitely a CNC machine and a big one at that. The table looks like it would have a 4' x 8' cutting area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:11 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Lewis
City: Crownsville
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21032
Focus: Build
looks like that first one is a duplicarver setup specifically for necks. It looks like you can probably lock it in two move in only 2 axes so that you can make a straight cut on the neck..similar to how a CNC would cut it.

The second one looks suspiciously like a shopbot..I'm not a big fan of shopbots, but I do like how they have that vacuum routed.

The other thing I see on that big one is that it is spanning quite a distance. While you may gain a little something from the standpoint of production in having a larger working area..having a large gantry machine like this will probably result in a somewhat flimsier and heavier structure. That machine is way bigger than what you need to cut a guitar...look at how many shops use Fadal 4020's...(40" x 20" table)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:46 am 
Koa
Koa

If the CNC machine punches you out, you probably deserved it.

There are some very good reasons for large machines...I have one, and the way we're tooling it will really make sense in about six months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:08 am 
Koa
Koa

The first machine was there last time as well, I looked but wanted a real CNC machine so I skipped it. That second one DOES look like a shopbot, my K2 may seem small but I have not run out of space yet, and I have a number of vaccum jigs attached to it...

I run my vaccum from a brace over the machine so it floats, works very very well...

-Paul-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:11 am 
Koa
Koa

"Light Curtains" and pressure sensitive pads are the type of safety features you see on some of the larger CNC's used for architectural mill work and the like (such as Biesse).

Most guitar makers use Fadals or Haas and these are usually configured with an enclosure on at least 4 sides.

I built a quick and dirty enclosure around my K2...mainly to keep the dust down, but also to catch the errant part that breaks free from the double stick tape (already have one little "oops" window).

~~~
Rick - I didn't mean to knock big machines. If you are running a lot of production work or are running sheet goods, then by all means..that's not a bad option (I was thinking more for the average hobbyist). I was just trying to point out that by making a machine that runs across a greater span, it is harder for the manufacturer to ensure good repeatability & accuracy. As with everything...there are many ways to skin a cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:13 am 
Koa
Koa

Cool site Paul...those are some great looking guitars!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:42 am 
Koa
Koa

Thanks Parser, that's the old site, I'm working on a new one with new branding, videos and the whole nine yards :)

I left my machine out in the open, the dust collection is so good I don't worry about it and I just wear ear protectors if I'm next to while it's running...

Thanks Hesh, I've been lurking for a while, I couldn't make HB this year but some of my work was there on other peoples guitars ;)

-Paul-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:11 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh there are such a huge variety of quality and sizes of CNC machines out there now that you could easily find one to fit in your washroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:29 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

The second machine is a Shopbot PRS or Alpha.  4'x8' work area. They also make a 4'x4' machine which is what we use and a 24" x 32" benchtop.