Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:08 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Mikael
Focus: Build
I have lurked here for a little while, and thought this would be a good time to introduce myself, as I am embarking on my first build. I spend a lot of time in the CNCZone forum, but as I am building a guitar I thought I might as well seek some guidance and inspiration here too.

A little back-story:
When I started playing guitar 22 years ago, the guitar I dreamed about was a Les Paul. I didn't get around to playing one until 4 or 5 years later, and by then I was a devout Ibanezian. You can imagine my dream-crushing dissapointment when I straped on the Les Paul and experienced a neck, that to my lumberjack hands, felt like a slightly oversized toothpick!

Over the years I have stayed true to Ibanez, and have honestly never found guitar necks that I enjoy as much.... and I have tried a lot!

About 12 years ago I switched from 6 to 7 strings, and though I gladly change back to 6 now and then, I would guess it only accounts for maybe 20% of my playing time.

I got into the CNC hobby a few years ago with the intent to make my own guitars. But it's first now that I have actually gotten as far as to start thinking about routing guitars. My homemade CNC router has a working surface of about 500x700mm. After my first guitar I intend to rebuild it to increase that a bit, as well as making it more rigid.

I have already started making some small scale guitars for my kids, and now I am ready to take the step up.... a really big step

So, the reason for this Frankenstein guitar: I still love the look of the Les paul, and I have wanted to take the step up from 7 to 8 strings, so voila.... the Mor'Paul. An 8 string 65.5" scale Les Paul with a Hipshot 8 string fixed bridge, and an EMG 808 active pickup.

Is it beautiful? It's a carved top Les Paulish body with an Ibanezish 8 string neck, so I would think that would be a resounding NO, but I think it's fun :D

I will try to document the build here, but don't expect this to be done in a few weeks

btw, the renderings don't represent the finished model. It's still a design in progress.

Views and comments appreciated.

cheers
Mikael

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Oh, man - you got me all pumped up!

But if you really want a cool Paul, gotta have a carved top..... just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:37 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

While not a traditional carved top, it will have quite a lot of shape.

Before I actually start cutting this guitar I'm gonna finish the 22.5" scale Les Paul I'm making for my oldest son, who's 3. I have set the bridge back a bit, and with the neck entering the body at around the 13th fret the overall length of the guitar will be about 32.5" I'll post some pics if anyone's interested.

(I am posting some of this on cnczone as well)

Mikael

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

It's been a loooong time since there was progress in this project, but finally things have started rolling.

I'm working on the 22.5" Les(s) Paul for my son.

http://youtu.be/qIX9z1miuUw?hd=1

Here is a preliminary test of the guitar without the fretboard

http://youtu.be/EnrFMBtVrpc?hd=1