Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Z axis died
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

So I was doing a test run on a fret board yesterday. After radiusing the fretboard test piece. I started the fret slotting and at the 19th fret my Z axis died. I blew a fuse? Now the problem of determining the culprit? (dang broke an endmill) So after replacing the fuse, checking all connections, moving the stepper motor to another axis and moving it back, I have run the same Gcode 6 times consecutively and no mishaps. What appears to have happened (I think) is a thermal overload of the stepdriver? I noticed after it happened that the stepdriver was much warmer than the other axis ( yes I have heat sinks and high airflow). I have ordered a few replacements just in case. Now, my question, how many trials before you would start on the real part?

I know my tolerance of testing, I just want to see what ya'll think?
:)
This is the first problem I have had in over a year?
Mike

Post subject: Re: Z axis died
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It does matter how many trial or test runs you do. It will fail on the first real job you put in it! wow7-eyes laughing6-hehe Go ahead, ask me how I know this!!!!!

Honestly, I would write a string of code, replicate it multiple times and run an extended test and maybe even insert some code that will tax the axis right up to its fail point, assuming you know where that is now.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks Mike,I have already surmised that. :) It's good to see you. Been awhile. :)

Mike's suggestion:Valid. When you think it's enough, it will fail the following time. Been there done that. [headinwall]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
I'll second the 'test program' route. If possible, I'd put the motor on a different axis than the amp and then write a test program zooming both of those axes back and forth to see which fails. That'll let you know which part is at fault.

If you have a FET die or something, assuming your drives have a number of them, then it'll heat up more and more until other ones start popping and the whole board goes up. I've seen that happen to an amp before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Bob Garrish wrote:
I'll second the 'test program' route. If possible, I'd put the motor on a different axis than the amp and then write a test program zooming both of those axes back and forth to see which fails. That'll let you know which part is at fault.

If you have a FET die or something, assuming your drives have a number of them, then it'll heat up more and more until other ones start popping and the whole board goes up. I've seen that happen to an amp before.
yep have run about 8hrs of code at it so far, no fail. even moved the stepper to a different axis as well to either fail the motor or the driver.

Next will be another round using low speed and high load. will see. :)