Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I bought a used spindle speeder and need to fab a stop block to attach to the spindle body. I don't want to drill and tap the spindle. A hose clamp would do in a pinch but what are the 5 holes on the two flats on the bottom edge of the spindle body for? I can't find any info in the manual on them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
They're for exactly that sort of thing, so far as I can tell. That's where Taylor mounts the plates that stop their stuff from spinning. I'm sure other aggregate head manufacturers use them for the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:23 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks Bob.

Just out of curriosity what is the HP rating on your air spindle? Mine's only .25 and it seemed like it was lacking torque.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

0.1 on mine, and I don't believe it has anything near that. You might want to ask them how they calculate the HP :)

What are you trying to do with it that requires torque? The bearings in those things die fast enough just from spinning at that speed...and sort of instantly if you 'crash' them by overloading them. I rebuild mine now, but rebuilds from the manufacturer were really expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Bob Garrish wrote:
0.1 on mine, and I don't believe it has anything near that. You might want to ask them how they calculate the HP :)

What are you trying to do with it that requires torque? The bearings in those things die fast enough just from spinning at that speed...and sort of instantly if you 'crash' them by overloading them. I rebuild mine now, but rebuilds from the manufacturer were really expensive.

Cutting out circuit boards and cutting fretslots full depth - which of course I now know requires multiple passes.

I could use a couple of high speed spindles so I might run both the speeder and the air spindle once I get a little more comfortable with the machine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:12 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
I bought a used spindle speeder and need to fab a stop block to attach to the spindle body. I don't want to drill and tap the spindle. A hose clamp would do in a pinch but what are the 5 holes on the two flats on the bottom edge of the spindle body for? I can't find any info in the manual on them.

Sheldon,

On page 20 of this pdf http://www.bigkaiser.com/pdfs/profit-ma ... df#page=28 there's a dimensioned model of a stop block that might help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
Bob Garrish wrote:

Cutting out circuit boards and cutting fretslots full depth - which of course I now know requires multiple passes.

I could use a couple of high speed spindles so I might run both the speeder and the air spindle once I get a little more comfortable with the machine.

Those cuts should require fractional horsepower. You'd be looking at less than 1/20 HP if you were feeding a 1/16" cutter through PCB at full depth and 200IPM at 65,000 RPM. I know my turbines will stall at way less load than that, so the 0.1HP thing is bunk.

I think they calculate their HP values as the instantaneous amount of torque the thing can push out when it's at full speed due to the inertia of the rotor...sort of like how compressor manufacturers like to rate their compressor HP by the maximum current draw of the motor when it's starting up rather than the mechanical power.

On the topic of things that aren't questionable...what are you making PCBs for? I started messing around with electronics a couple years ago when I retrofitted the Fadal; I figured I should know what my buddy helping me was talking about :). I've cut a few boards on the machine, but now I'm setting up a printer to directly print etch resist...what will people think up next?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Bob Garrish wrote:
On the topic of things that aren't questionable...what are you making PCBs for? I started messing around with electronics a couple years ago when I retrofitted the Fadal; I figured I should know what my buddy helping me was talking about :). I've cut a few boards on the machine, but now I'm setting up a printer to directly print etch resist...what will people think up next?

We use circuitboards on our rotary switches, toggle switch arrays and inside pickups. Nothing too fancy or complicated but it makes serviceablility easier.