Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mach question.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:57 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Wondering the order or how one would go about stopping a machining program in Mach, checking zero or to move the gantry to any location for that matter then restart from the arbitrary or zero location and not lose program position. With nothing on the table I have run a program and used stop, go to zero, cycle start. This is not working as the program is losing position.

I am running a program where everything is off by about an eighth of an inch perfectly, so I am trying to check zero between finish,rough, etc..... to figure this out.
Any information is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Mach question.
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:27 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I should also say that when the program loses position, "go to zero" is still perfect.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

M00 - Program stop. You can insert that into your G-code in the spot where you'd like to stop. I'd recommend doing it after a z-retract of some sort or, you can write in a simple z-retract line on your own. If you stop the spindle manually, remember to turn it back on again before you hit cycle start!

Pressing the stop button on Mach causes lost steps if the machine is running at any reasonable speed because Mach 3 just stops the pulse stream, no deceleration. If you want to stop in the middle of a program in an un-planned sort of way, Feed Hold is what you want to use. It will stop the machine following the acceleration limits set in the motor tuning screen. Cycle start will pick up where you left off.

BTW as you can probably guess, the pucker factor is quite high the first time you feed hold, move the spindle out of the way and then continue....just don't forget to turn on the spindle! One day when I walked into the lab and found that my fret slot bit had broken about half way through a fretboard. I found the appropriate line of code, put in a new bit, fired up the spindle and hit "run from here". I about crapped myself when the machine shot over and dropped into the fret slot at 400ipm+ but, everything worked out fine. Take your time, double check.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:54 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Thanks very much for the information.