Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

A few years ago I built a 24" x 36" x 8" router. When I built the router, I used mostly surplus industrial parts with a few aluminum parts I had machined to my drawings. For the controls used Gecko drives mounted in a rack mount PC case with servo motors. Considering I probably spent about $1500 it was hard to not be pleased with the result. After using the router for a while there were a few things that needed upgraded and I finally decided to dive back in and get it fixed up.

Here is a picture of the router.
Attachment:
Router.jpg

Since most of the rework is internal the final router will look about the same. I will post pictures later. Here is what I reworked.

1) The X axis (gantry) was driven from both sides via Tolomatic Linear actuators that had HTD style belts (not ball screws). Since the HTD belts by design have a good amount of backlash this causing problems with small detail work. I thought about replacing them when I first built the router but decided to give it a shot as is. As expected they worked but had limitations. After some careful planning I was able to mount the ball screws in the extruded aluminum actuator housing which will make for a nice clean design since the screws will be behind a magnetic cover and not exposed to the dust.
Attachment:
Frame New.jpg

Attachment:
Rail New.jpg

2) The controls were mounted inside a PC rack mount server computer case. This worked but just wasn't real clean and it was easy for the wires to come out of the push in style connectors located on the back of the case.
Attachment:
Control Old.jpg

Attachment:
Back Panel Old.jpg

After the rework here is the new inside and back panel.
Attachment:
Control New.jpg

Attachment:
Back Panel New.jpg

New locking style connectors which will work much better than the push in style (no more loose wires!)

Attachment:
Front Panel New.jpg

The front and back panel I laser etched using an Epilog laser. (worked great)

I must thank Bob Berg from Colorado for his help....he helped with the nice clean wiring and I would highly recommend him if you need a CNC control.

I still have some aluminum parts to powder coat and then everything should be going back together.

I will post more one it is all finished up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.