Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:30 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I using my own version of cataloging my cut files which aim to have relative info at a glance. For example a neck profile cut file with a quarter inch ball nose end mill would be 'Neckprofileqtrroundv1' with the v1 as a note to myself that its the first version of this file, additional tweaks of the file are v2, v3 and so forth. So with speeds and feeds in the g-code I use the file name for the other critical info. This method seems overly complicated and I think there's a better more streamline method out there. What are some different methods that work for you? I greatly appreciate any advice. Vince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: kevin
Last Name: waldron
City: Bell Buckle
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37020
Focus: Build
We use Rhinocam for our main CNC cutting of instrument parts and it has it's own built in database. (knowledge base is what the program calls it) It allows you to save the entire file. For new parts that are similar we pull the save file into the drawing select the curves, parts, etc. and it will automatically rebuild the entire CNC cut file for new item based on the saved strategy .......not just one tool but all tools, speeds, feeds, etc......... We have one say for MS necks another for GS style necks...... one for Archtop Body for Outside cuts...... inside cuts, Body mold etc.......

If you don't have this...... think the simplest way might be to use Microsoft Access if your doing all this manually and saving your own g-code etc. Access can be purchased with the MS Office Professional Suite..... and it is a very powerful database...... not quite SQL but fairly robust an you can even save photo's etc. with the database.

My two cents...

Blessings,

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:38 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: William Seeders
Last Name: Mosheim
City: Dorset
State: VT
Zip/Postal Code: 05251
I think I know what you're getting at. You're referring to the output file that your machine uses to run and you'd like some clear info at a quick glance as to what that file will do and what bit it needs to run, correct? I use a similar method sometimes but I've found that using as many numbers as possible is easier to identify the info you need faster than using words. For instance, your file name under my rules would become 'neck_profile_1-4_ball_v1' (1-4 refering to 1/4") you could even simplify and use something like 'neckprofile_1-4ball_v1'. Some machines have a built in code that will prompt you for the correct bit on your controller as the program starts, but it doesn't sound like you have that feature on your machine and need to know clearly before you run the file. As far as multiple versions, I actually replace and/or delete any previous versions as I usually don't go backwards in my programming and don't want any old/incorrect post files messing me up by accident.

Kevin - I'm a RhinoCAM user as well but haven't discovered the knowledge base feature yet, I'm definitely going to find that very handy in the future. Thanks for cluing me in on that option.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:55 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Kevin, I'm test driving the 90 day demo of rhino at this moment, unfortunately RhinoCam is out of reach money-wise. I do have MicroSoft Access on the shop PC and the ability to have a corresponding file picture would be very helpful. I'll look into Access further, Thanks !

William, Yes that's the case, these are the files created in Vectric Cut2d and 3D. Staying on top of deleting older versions of files is key and using the underscore (_) makes for an easier to read file on these old eyes too. Thanks you both for the tips, Vince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:27 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I work on multiple jobs at once. I do not have a took changer, a little lazy, and sometimes will group cuts depending what cutter is in the machine. My system is not perfect but I don't get lost or confused. Well not often.
I'll name my text files of code with the customer or model first, part, orientation of the part, what cutter, and where zero is. Sometimes I'll add total depth of cut if that seems appropriate.
For example:
NewmanBackFcUpPf.5rZeroAtTable

That's customer Newman, working the back plate face up, Parallel finishing pass with .5" round, Zero at Table.

Another might be:

NewRoseLogoCavity.023Picktop.060TotalDepth

It's a logo cavity route for my New Rose model, .023 cutter, zero at the top, or "picktop" and .060 total depth.

And so on.
Everything I need to know is in the name. I'll shorten words within reason, capitalizing only the first letters allows me to read them without needing spaces.

I'm using Visual Mill, which I'm pretty sure is basically Rhinocam

These users thanked the author Saul Koll for the post: Durero (Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:36 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:40 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
^ That's a great naming system.

I've been using something similar but haven't thought to include orientation or depth.

It's a superb organization scheme to be able to come back to a cutting file months or years later and know exactly what it is without having to open it.

These users thanked the author Durero for the post: Saul Koll (Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:52 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

this is a great subject. I am also a evolving into my process. I use Rhino 5 and Madcam. I know there must be a better way for now I create toolpaths by placing all the parts, lines onto the Rhino Graph in perfect allignment to each other and often use a index hole or two. I use Layers to turn off the ones I don't want to see and create a toolpath for each process. For example on a flatback, chambered archtop guitar I would create.
Archtop_blank_top_surface_planing_2.5surfacer_zero_top_0.02_depth
Archtop_blank_back_surface_planing_2.5surfacer_zero_spoilboard (in my notes I will have to notate that the cutter will go up to 1.68 and take three passes of 0.02 each. for a final of 1.64.
Archtop_back_control_0.5em_zero_top (notate in notes to flip the blank)
Archtop_front_chambers_wirechannels_zero_top
Archtop_plate_underside_planer_2.5surfacer_zero_top (note to flip blane)
Archtop_plate_contour_0.5bm_zero_spoilboard (this will do roughing then planer finishing)
Archtop_humbuckers_0.25em_zero_spoilboard
Archtop_f_holes_0.125em_zero_spoilboard
Archtop_control_holes_0125em_zero_spoilboard
Archtop_profile_0.25emlong_zero_spoilboard

I make a file and keep this in it. I include a text file with instructions.

These users thanked the author Ken McKay for the post: Saul Koll (Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:05 pm)