PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
rlrhett wrote:
Bob, I looked at both PRS and Taylor CNC neck carves and both seem to be carving the neck with the blank fretboard down on the CNC table, not with the fingerboard on the Z-X plane. Did I misunderstand you?

Regardless, it was interesting to see. Obviously PRS is not dealing with a two inch tall heel. However, I notice they both carve the heel by carving DOWN the face of the heel rather than in a water line X-Y plane stepped carve.

I'm not sure how to generate those tool paths, but that's for a different forum. I am curious if that is what people are doing here? Is a 1/2" bit rigid/strong enough for that? Those seem to be beefy bits, maybe 1"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was referring to their fixture designs, not their cutting methods. My fixture was more or less the same as theirs but I had three of them (one vertical, and one on each side) and processed three necks at a time. Taylor uses 1"x6" balls from Robb Jack and they have full flute, but they're also using 10K spindles and full size VMCs. Using smaller long cutters you have to limit flute length and stick-out to the minimum you can use, but on a router you'll have a good deal of RPM to make up for cutter size and the cutting forces trying to throw your workpiece off the vacuum should be more manageable.

The bit Kevin linked is the right sort: short flutes, long shank. It appears that Grizzly only carries them in TiAlN, uncoated and sharp would be preferable, but the price is pretty good for a cutter like that. Those insert cutters from Dapra are pretty sweet, I might have to figure out a reason to need one here at work...