Walnut

First name: Clifford
Last Name: Mould
City: Barnsley
State: S Yorks
Zip/Postal Code: S74 0QT
Focus: Build
Hi all,
new to the forum and trying to create my first CNC bdoy. I've managed to model a S type body ok but the issue I have is that my CNC is not quite wide enough to machine the body one one got. I was hoping to use locationg pins so I can machine it in two halves - Left side then move to next pin and do right side having first done the pockets in the middle.

I've created seperate setups with the Stock size set to half width and was hoping it would only machine withing the stock limits.
Having tried many options, I can kind of get it to work but most of the time Fusion refuses to helix ramp down into the stock. Its assuming it can lead in from the side of the "stock" (the half size bit).

If I do a 3d Adaptive of the whole body it does work ok.

I've made a mockup simple body to speed up the calculations I can email if required - cant seem to attach it.
(Annoyingly ftp has dissapeared from my Mac so I an quickly upload it to a site.. I'll sort that soon and get a link...)
The border body is so I have somewhere to put the locationg pins (three across top and 3 across bottom on the real thing).
The real one will also have tabs across.

Can anyone confirm what I am doing is possible and hwo I can do it correctly?
PS happy to share the S type body if wanted but cant promise its correct yet.

Thanks
Cliff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Ok I think I have sorted it now..
Someone mentioned using Fixtures in a other forum and initially I miss understood that and was placing fixtures at the side as though they were real clamps..
But now I realise I can create two rectangular bodies and use one at a time to block off the area that I dont want machined.

So I can blank off the lower half and machine the upper contours and pockets. Then move the body to the next locator pins and machine the lower half.

Seem to be working ok with helical ramps into the stock. I'd been fiddling with many many settings over the lat 3 weeks trying to get the body CAM setup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
I’m glad you found your answers. I was going to suggest the Fusion 360 site. I use F360 and do a lot of CNC machining, but I honestly couldn’t figure out what your issue was from your post. On the F360 site it is set up to upload screencasts and whole F360 files. It is a great resource for getting specific answers to you CAD/CAM questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:30 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

rlrhett wrote:
I’m glad you found your answers. I was going to suggest the Fusion 360 site. I use F360 and do a lot of CNC machining, but I honestly couldn’t figure out what your issue was from your post. On the F360 site it is set up to upload screencasts and whole F360 files. It is a great resource for getting specific answers to you CAD/CAM questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes will try that next time as it would be easier to explain if you can see the file.
I just got it all working well today and saved the file. Then when I tried to access it later, it keeps crashing F360 !!.

Luckily I have an exported copy from a slightly earlier version. Just need to re-apply all my tweaks unless they fix the issue with my final version.