Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Very nice Chris. I'll be using parts of this to re & re mine from Luthier supplier. Might even make me a new one.

I was thinking about making the articulating arms out of aluminum as the acrylic ones I have are cracking around the locking pins (pins on the outside edge). I also like that you've used the brass pins and hardware as the plastic screws on mine have broken twice (dropped the jig on the floor).

the one really great thing about this jig is that you can also scribe a line for each scale length and it makes locating the bridge just that much faster.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 am 
Koa
Koa

Rod, I made mine some time ago after seeing a picture. I made the arms from 1/4" baltic birch ply & they worked fine...very robust. I didn't have access to the equipment/accuracy Chris used I'm afraid.....just ganged the similar arms together (4 long, & 4 short) & drilled. Worked great.
Attachment:
centerline jig.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice Tute, Chris. Most importantly for me was learning more about the mini mill. What's your assessment of the mill? What else do you use it for? What are its limitations?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ron,
You could make the links from brass also. I like the brass and the wood. I think it adds a nice vintage tool look to it. Sort of like an old plane. If I wood have had the brass for the links I'd made would have used it. Some nice left over side and back wood would look good and work too. Nice to know about the pins and bolts. I'll take the nylon nuts and bolts back. I thought about putting little set screws into the links to set the pins too.
I'm going to scribe the saddle location into it also, Charles Fox and Frank Ford both do that.
JJ, I like the mill. The limitations is pretty much the size. I don't think it's for any heavy steel milling. I've just used it with brass so far. I also changed the travels rods out to the ones that are .050" per turn. I think they come with a 1/16" per turn. There are all kinds of attachments you can get for it at :

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/defaul ... gAodVxCexA
There are kits for CNC conversion also. I would like to have a mini lathe also some day. And a CNC router and a .... :D