Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: About Bracewood
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Lately a few people have called to ask me some questions on bracewood. A recent request resulted in me agreeing to post some thoughts on bracewood. Chris Paulick has done a great job with his videos (look in the tutorial section) and much of this may be a repeat but sometimes seeing things in different fashions helps get the point across. So before I start, I need to clear the air! To date I am mostly a tonewood producer (coming from a long woodworking background (rather than logging!)). I have a couple of guitars under way, one has the box closed up and the other not yet. So from a guitar building standpoint I am not experienced. But I have had the great fortune of association with some very fine builders and authours, such as Bill Cumpiano, Roger Siminoff, John Greven and many others. So I have researched most aspects of building extensively and discussed them at great length. Enough on that.

Bracewood. Sawn or Split? I will show you how I produce it and tell you why.

For Sawn stock I start with a split wedge, fallout from producing guitar top billets. They look like this:

Attachment:
billet.jpg

I take this billet and clamp it into my sliding carriage on my resaw and slice off the sap wood, following a grain line. I have a laser that aids in this process. Here is the bottom sawn:

Attachment:
Sawn Bottom.jpg

Next I flip the piece 90 degrees to get face square to the bottom, like this:

Attachment:
Squared.jpg

Once I have two sawn faces, the bottom and one side, with the piece displaying nice edge grain up the side, I start to saw "boards" off the billet to 3/4", like this:

Attachment:
Slicing.jpg

Once they are cut you will have pieces that look like these, and this is typical recovery from a wedged billet:

Attachment:
Three Pieces.jpg

Once I have them in this state, I then go to my table saw and ensure that these boards sawn edge are all running along grain lines (if I did a good job on the re-saw no correction is required, but sometimes, especially in tight grained wood, I will need to draw a line with a pencil that follows a grain line and trim the board). Once I am sure that the board follows the grain, I then table saw the "board" to maximum width for a rectangular board (I cut off any triangular pieces). So now I have a board that will be about 22" long, 3/4" thick and whatever width (usually 2 to 6 inches), perfectly vertical grain.

Next I dry these boards by stickering them and letting air run over them. Once they are dry, I then thickness sand to remove all saw marks. Then I go back to my table saw and with a thin kerf blade (7.25" Diablo blades) slice strips just over 1/4" wide. Then I thickness these to 1/4" (again removing all saw marks), the thickness of my all of my top braces (except some of the upper bout stuff). So then you have a pile of brace stock that looks like this that sits in your shop and acclimates, ready for your next build:

Attachment:
Bracestock.jpg

I will show some Split Stock in the next line (I am running out of picture space).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: About Bracewood
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:29 am 
Koa
Koa

State: BC
[:Y:] [:Y:]

That's how it's done.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For Split Bracewood, as has been mentioned before, you need to split in halves. This is important because to do otherwise will likely result in the split crossing grain lines. By splitting in halves there is equal resistance on either side of your splitting tool so the wood separates along a grain line. So, for hand splitting, I start in the same place, a split wedge:

Attachment:
Wedge.jpg

Then I collect my tools of choice for this operation, a wooden mallet I made for timber framing and a small hatchet:

Attachment:
Tools.jpg

Next, I make my first split, halving the billet:

Attachment:
First Split.jpg

Following that, it is just a series of halves until you get dimensions you are looking for, something like this:

Attachment:
Series Split.jpg

Once you get near the sizes you want you will have something like this:

Attachment:
Split Stock.jpg

This is just over 3/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide. From here you can either true up two faces by hand plane or on a jointer, or you can continue splitting. A word of caution though. If you continue to split down from here, it is a good idea to cut the stock to shorter lengths as there is less force now holding the split to a grain line and the splits can start to wonder. Just pay close attention as you go and try this process on some lumber yard spruce first.

A couple of thoughts on bracewood:

1) This is a structural component in the guitar and as such I believe that this is not the place to compromise.

2) So, what does "compromise" mean? Well, the tradition is that bracestock should be free of runout and perfectly quartered. The runout I can agree with but tests, science and history do not prove out the "perfectly on quarter" component. Roger Siminoff has advocated for years, largely based on some old instruments that he has had in his hands and tests he has conducted, that bracestock does not need to be, nor should be quartered. Somogyi has show that in many cases flat sawn wood, and in some cases, rift sawn wood is as stiff or stiffer than quarter sawn wood. So the most important thing one needs to do is understand "how stiff" one wants their top to be and what they can do to adjust to that stiffness. Maybe less stiff braces have a place with a very stiff top and vis versa.

3) But, since we all like well quartered tops, it makes sense, from a stability perspective anyways, that well quartered braces will have some benefit. But I leave that discussion to others with more experience than I.

4) I have concluded that I can get bracestock that is very well machined using my saw method, so that is what I use for myself. I pay attention to the details and I think I produce wood that easily matches and often betters split bracestock. But others enjoy the use of hand tools in producing this wood and if done with care and attention, one would be hard pressed to argue that split braces are not as good as you can get!

I hope this is of some value in answering some questions and I hope this thread will allow for more discussion to answer any questions outstanding.

Thanks

Shane

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:54 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Dunn
City: Wurtsboro
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12790
Focus: Build
Thank's Shane. I am sure everyone appreciates your efforts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:41 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Last Name: Ressler
City: Sandwich
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 60548
Excellent visual Shane. Thanks for taking the time to post this

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:42 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Chris
City: Jacksonville
State: Florida
Shane I noticed you saw off the sap wood. Do you consider it inferior?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:42 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Kathy
Last Name: Somerville
City: Edmonton
State: Alberta
Zip/Postal Code: T5S 2V8
Shane,

That is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you for taking the time to go into such detail and to include such clear pictures.

Kathy Somerville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am 
Koa
Koa

Last Name: A
Shane - this is great ! I will be calling you hopefully tomorrow to put in an order - or do you prefer PM or email ?

Your tutorials / show and tell are excellent !

Do you all split Western Cedar for braces as well ? or would you use the sawn method ?

Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:39 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

John A wrote:
Shane - this is great ! I will be calling you hopefully tomorrow to put in an order - or do you prefer PM or email ?

Your tutorials / show and tell are excellent !

Do you all split Western Cedar for braces as well ? or would you use the sawn method ?

Thanks !

Hey John,

I have cedar billets and sawn bracewood as well. I have a couple of high end customers that like cedar for back braces so I always keep a bit on hand. For orders email is probably best, I am out and about most days. shane@highmountaintonewood.com

Thanks

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

[clap] You da man for bracewood, Shane!

https://www.dreamingrosesecobnb.com/todds-art-music

https://www.facebook.com/ToddRoseGuitars/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

ksomerville wrote:
Shane,

That is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you for taking the time to go into such detail and to include such clear pictures.

Kathy Somerville

Hey Kathy,

I am glad it answered the questions. Thanks for the nudge to get this done!

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
Shane you never cease to amaze me ! [:Y:]

All the tops & brace stock I've received from you are just cut & prepared right!
Plus they're dry !!

It's great & reassuring to deal with you!
How's X-caliper?? ;)

Mc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nicely done Shane. Are you going to put this in the Tutorial section also? It certainly should be there. Thanks for doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Chris aka Sniggly wrote:
Shane I noticed you saw off the sap wood. Do you consider it inferior?

Sorry Chris, I got a bit distracted! In Sitka and its hybrids the sap wood drys a different colour so I don't use it for tops. It also has WAY more water (moisture) in it than the wood inside of the sapwood. Also, the bugs will bore into the sapwood and make a mess (that is why the colour is darker on the sapwood in the picture above). In bracewood it probably is OK to use the sapwood as colour is less of an issue but I am a creature of habit.....you wouldn't want to look at my firewood pile!

Shane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Matt
Last Name: Rispoli
State: NJ
Thanks for the pictorial very interesting

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Abercrombie
Thanks, Shane.

I didn't know about the 'splitting in halves' thing, so never to late to learn...

My first guitar was built 'back in the day' when you could get pretty good spruce from construction lumber, and I split the braces from some 2x6 cutoffs. Now, with 'perfect' wood from folks like you, I've gotten lazy!

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:50 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thank you, Shane!
This is a wonderfully clear description and pictorial essay - with great tips as well. [:Y:]

Much appreciated,
Vivian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I am just bumping this because I have been getting a few more questions on this stuff again lately.

Shane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:55 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Last Name: Charnock
Shane Neifer wrote:
For Split Bracewood, as has been mentioned before, you need to split in halves. This is important because to do otherwise will likely result in the split crossing grain lines. By splitting in halves there is equal resistance on either side of your splitting tool so the wood separates along a grain line. So, for hand splitting, I start in the same place, a split wedge:

Attachment:
Wedge.jpg

Then I collect my tools of choice for this operation, a wooden mallet I made for timber framing and a small hatchet:

Attachment:
Tools.jpg

Next, I make my first split, halving the billet:

Attachment:
First Split.jpg

Following that, it is just a series of halves until you get dimensions you are looking for, something like this:

Attachment:
Series Split.jpg

Once you get near the sizes you want you will have something like this:

Attachment:
Split Stock.jpg

This is just over 3/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide. From here you can either true up two faces by hand plane or on a jointer, or you can continue splitting. A word of caution though. If you continue to split down from here, it is a good idea to cut the stock to shorter lengths as there is less force now holding the split to a grain line and the splits can start to wonder. Just pay close attention as you go and try this process on some lumber yard spruce first.

A couple of thoughts on bracewood:

1) This is a structural component in the guitar and as such I believe that this is not the place to compromise.

2) So, what does "compromise" mean? Well, the tradition is that bracestock should be free of runout and perfectly quartered. The runout I can agree with but tests, science and history do not prove out the "perfectly on quarter" component. Roger Siminoff has advocated for years, largely based on some old instruments that he has had in his hands and tests he has conducted, that bracestock does not need to be, nor should be quartered. Somogyi has show that in many cases flat sawn wood, and in some cases, rift sawn wood is as stiff or stiffer than quarter sawn wood. So the most important thing one needs to do is understand "how stiff" one wants their top to be and what they can do to adjust to that stiffness. Maybe less stiff braces have a place with a very stiff top and vis versa.

3) But, since we all like well quartered tops, it makes sense, from a stability perspective anyways, that well quartered braces will have some benefit. But I leave that discussion to others with more experience than I.

4) I have concluded that I can get bracestock that is very well machined using my saw method, so that is what I use for myself. I pay attention to the details and I think I produce wood that easily matches and often betters split bracestock. But others enjoy the use of hand tools in producing this wood and if done with care and attention, one would be hard pressed to argue that split braces are not as good as you can get!

I hope this is of some value in answering some questions and I hope this thread will allow for more discussion to answer any questions outstanding.

Thanks

Shane

Have you split with and across the grain ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup, if you look at the picture of the split sections (captioned "series split") you will see the various splits in both directions.

Thanks
Shane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Eddy
City: Mandeville
State: La
Zip/Postal Code: 70448
Thank you Shane! I have some of your split bracewood ready to go.