Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Jim
Last Name: Outman
City: LaGrange
State: GA
Zip/Postal Code: 30240
Focus: Build
Thought this was worthy of posting here as well as my build thread. Since I have to be a po' boy the next few months till my daughter's wedding I can't go out and spend big bucks on binding router bits. So I dreamed this gadget up. Took some scraps of walnut and sapele, a wing bolt I've had in my bolt bin for at least 20 years, and a knob bolt I accumulated somewhere, and came up with my very own creation.
Just started shaping the guide till it looked like something that might work. Cut the supports out. Got a piece of walnut for the base, cut out the circle off the router base, and the center used a hole saw. Drilled the holes for the small screws first and counter sunk them with a larger drill bit. Then couldn't find any bolts that would thread into the router base. Phooey! tried some larger bolts in the big holes and tadaa! they worked, so I drill those and and counter sunk them with a forstner bit. Ran it trough my thickness sander to even it out. Good deal so far. Cut out the guides and guessed where they'd do the most good. Lined it up over a router bit and glued the sides on.

Drilled out, dremmeled, carved, cussed, and finally made cutouts in the sapele (that stuff is hard!) for the nuts for the wing bolt and the knob. Super glued them in place. Sanded them down to even things out. Then glued them in place. Ran a few bolts thru it to make sure it doesn't implode on me in the middle of a project.

Tried it out on a piece of Sapele from the cutout for the bass body. Hoky Smokes! It's Alive! It works way too easy! bliss

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:53 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Carl
City: Portland
State: OR
Focus: Build
That looks pretty cool. I bet if you put a little bit of nylo-tape on it it would slide better around the body.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... ylo%20tape