PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:31 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Joe
Last Name: Ulman
City: Bellevue
State: Washington
Focus: Build
Here is a simple, sturdy, very light-weight stand that provides surprisingly good stability for an acoustic guitar without using a riser and neck cradle. The key to stability is proper peg spacing and some suitable friction producing padding on the pegs and frame face. It's made from inexpensive 3/4 x 1-1/2 clear white pine. The pictures are self explanatory, I think, and should be sufficient to allow someone to make one customized for their needs.

Some construction notes:

A temporary wood pin is used to hold the top of the frame together for marking out the lap joints and glue-up. The top of the frame is cut off below the pin after glue up to about the height of the guitar heel cap.

The top edge/face of the stretcher is relieved so the tail of the guitar doesn’t catch on it when placing on the stand; this was easily accomplished with a spokeshave.

The cantilevered leg is attached to the stretcher via mortise and tenon and reinforced with triangle shaped blocks. The length of the cantilevered leg determines the angle that the stand (and guitar) rests. The dimensions and angle can be selected such that the stand can be placed against a wall and still allow clearance for the headstock.

The pegs are 3/4 dia wood dowel, through mortised. Care should be taken to set them perfectly square to the face of the frame and level to each other.

I covered the face of the frame and pegs with cowhide leather, suede side out. This protects the guitar’s finish and gives sufficient friction so the guitar stays put even when bumped lightly. For the leather-to-wood adhesive I used Barge cement; works great but not a good product for use indoors due to high voc’s.

I optimized the dimensions of my stand for an average body size classical (about 14-1/2” lower bout, 19” body length); Edit: see the next post for a sketch that shows the angles and dimensions I used.

Attachment:
IMG_3834 stand with guitar_front.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3854 stand with guitar_side.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3848 finished stand_1.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3851 A-frame disassembled.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3849 top lap joint.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3850 stretcher lap joint.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3856 reinforcing blocking.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3858 copy stretcher relief.jpg

Cheers, Joe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by JoeUlman on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Joe
Last Name: Ulman
City: Bellevue
State: Washington
Here’s a version that has suede on only two sides of the frame members, which I think looks a bit cleaner and uses less material. Initially I was concerned that the leather might tend to peel up at the edges so I wrapped the leather clear around the frame on the prototype, but so far there's no indication of the edges peeling up anywhere after a couple months use.

I think thick plush suede is a good material to use to pad the pegs and frame face because it will last for years and seems very friendly to the guitar finish, especially a French polish. Consider that if you set your guitar on the stand say three times a day on average, that’s over a thousand times a year, with potential for some wear on the finish.

Attachment:
IMG_3869 copy.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3866 copy.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3868 copy.jpg

Finally, since I’ve had some requests, here’s a sketch showing dimensions and angles for the stand I use for my classicals.

Attachment:
A-frame guitar sketch.jpg

Cheers, Joe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Very nice, Joe.
I need to make myself some.
I've got about 10 electrics and only one case.
I'm trying to figure out how to make a hanger that I can use in a closet and hang them up like clothes.
Dan