Official Luthiers Forum!

Solely owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be Nice to our new friends! Remember, everybody starts somewhere!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:58 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on acoustic guitar kits. Years ago I bought an LMI kit, it seemed good quality, but I was very overwhelmed by it at the time, and ended up selling it before I even finished it. Several years have gone by, I have a lot more experience now, I've finished and assembled a bunch of electric guitar kits, done a fair bit of maintenance on acoustics, and feel I have a more thorough understanding of the process of building a guitar and I feel ready to take the plunge again. But I don't want to just jump into buying a stew mac kit if there's something else that may be better that flies a little under the radar. I stumbled across Ken Cierpilowski website, but sadly it seems he's passed away. Any advice would be really helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:01 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Focus: Build
Stew Mac
Martin
John Hall/Blues Creek guitars
LMI

Stew Mac and Martin both sell quality kits - but the selection and services are very limited. You get the kit you get. There are only very few patterns and options...

John Hall and LMI offer far more options for servicing or lack thereof, as well as wood choices and guitar pattern choices.

One big advantage with John Hall is that he is a pro luthier who builds guitars. As such - he can give expert advice on how to get through operations when you get stuck.. And you could even visit him for some hands on help if you need it..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:02 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

John Hall with blues creek.
I’ve build one. Customer service is outstanding imo.
If I were to do another kit I’d do blues creek again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:23 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
I third the recommendations above. I've built kits from Steve Kovacik, John Hall, and LMII. Kovacik and Hall are both extremely good luthiers who have Martin parts (necks, bridges) available as well as making their own. Most of the time you will get a dovetail neck from them - I would consider bolt on instead.

LMII has their cool little kit wizard that lets you start with a basic kit and substitute wood or binding or the amount of work you want them to do for you. You might decide to have them bend sides to an established shape and maybe to install the rosette if you don't feel ready for those tasks (called a "serviced kit"). Or you can just have them supply a box of wood ("unserviced")

These were three of my early guitars - on the right is the Kovacik 000 - basically a 000-28 clone with some beautiful bearclaw top. The left is an OM 12 string from John Hall - Martin neck, smaller body. John was a big help when I wanted to do abalone inlay on my second guitar. The little one on top is an LMII parlor - their carved neck, otherwise a box of wood.

One of the neat things about building a custom kit like any of these is you can choose the level of work you want to do and you want supplied. As I moved forward with my building I have added tools and taken on more and more of the work to the point now that I scratch build everything.

I'll add that building a kit is not trivial - you still get some of the hardest challenges of guitar making - getting the geometry right, setting the neck, doing the binding and finish.

http://www.guitar-repair.com/kits.htm

http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/shop/