Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be Nice to our new friends! Remember, everybody starts somewhere!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:16 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Joshua
Last Name: Abbott
City: Salt Lake City
State: UT
Zip/Postal Code: 84105
Focus: Build
So I'm brand new to guitar building and to wood-working to for that matter. I just started building my first kit - a StewMac OOO kit. Everything was going swell until last night when I started looking at the sound board braces. The OOO kit just comes with two square pieces of wood and the blueprint to make the x-braces. However, I'm not exactly sure what the best way to stencil the shape onto these braces is. Once I've got that figured out, what's the best way to cut the braces? And if you're still reading, what's the best way to radius the back and round the tops?

I have quite a few tools. I have a little saw. A ton of files, some good knives, etc. I don't have a plane, but I'm not sure if I need one. I'd really, REALLY appreciate any tips you guys can give me!

P.S. I'll explain the photo: The two plain looking pieces of wood are what I'm supposed to make the braces from and need help with. The two braces are x-braces for a dreadnought guitar and just there as a reference. They're too long to trace though. Just good to look at.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tony
Last Name: C
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
Trace the brace curve onto a thicker piece of paper, cut it out, tape it to your brace blank, and then you can trace the pattern onto the brace.
A plane would be useful for shaping the curved glue surface of the brace. I glue my braces on oversized and shape them once glued. It is easier to clamp a rectangular piece of wood than a profiled, scalloped brace. Plus, you can get a nice tight lap joint on the X brace if they are not shaped.
You could always cut up your blue print and tape that to the brace as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:41 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Tony_in_NYC wrote:
Trace the brace curve onto a thicker piece of paper, cut it out, tape it to your brace blank, and then you can trace the pattern onto the brace.
A plane would be useful for shaping the curved glue surface of the brace. I glue my braces on oversized and shape them once glued. It is easier to clamp a rectangular piece of wood than a profiled, scalloped brace. Plus, you can get a nice tight lap joint on the X brace if they are not shaped.
You could always cut up your blue print and tape that to the brace as well.

That's great advice. So following your suggestion, I would use a plane to shape the bottom of the brace, glue it on, then shape it? What about the point where the 2 braces intersect? Just leave the intersection unshaped?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Yes, keep the area of the joint rectangular. You'll want maximum material there.

I cut my braces on a bandsaw, then I radius the bottoms on a router table with a flush cut trim bit & a template. After gluing to the top or back, put a sort of knife edge on the tops of the braces with a hand plane then scallop with a chisel.

How are you going to glue the braces to the top & back? Do you have radius dishes or cauls?

Kevin Looker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tony
Last Name: C
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
What klooker said.
And yes, shape the glue surface but leave the rest of the brace alone. Shape the top of the brace after you glue it on.

Posted using two tin cans and some string.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:39 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

klooker wrote:
Yes, keep the area of the joint rectangular. You'll want maximum material there.

I cut my braces on a bandsaw, then I radius the bottoms on a router table with a flush cut trim bit & a template. After gluing to the top or back, put a sort of knife edge on the tops of the braces with a hand plane then scallop with a chisel.

How are you going to glue the braces to the top & back? Do you have radius dishes or cauls?

Kevin Looker

Great advice, Kevin. Thanks! I ended up running down to Lowe's to buy a little plane. The file was working to some extent but wasn't making a very even surface.

I have a 3/4" piece of plywood that's the I cut to the same size as the soundboard that I'll rest the soundboard on, as well as some clamps and cauls that I'll use for gluing. That should work don't you think?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Good suggestions above - here are a couple more. Take your blueprints to Kinkos or an engineering office and get a couple of full scale copies made. You can cut them up to make tracings and still have the original.

I radius the glue face of my braces and rough shape the tops. After gluing them on the top I then scallop with a good scary sharp chisel. Ends up looking kind of like this

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:35 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Freeman wrote:
Good suggestions above - here are a couple more. Take your blueprints to Kinkos or an engineering office and get a couple of full scale copies made. You can cut them up to make tracings and still have the original.

I radius the glue face of my braces and rough shape the tops. After gluing them on the top I then scallop with a good scary sharp chisel. Ends up looking kind of like this

The StewMac kit I bought came with full scale blueprints, so I'm set there.

What's the best way to ensure you get the proper radius on the glue face? I got a few sample x-braces with the kit (dreadnought size) and I just traced the radius onto the actual pieces and planed them until they seemed to match the sample piece's radius.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
lebadget wrote:

What's the best way to ensure you get the proper radius on the glue face? I got a few sample x-braces with the kit (dreadnought size) and I just traced the radius onto the actual pieces and planed them until they seemed to match the sample piece's radius.

The top is usually radiused at something around 22-25 foot, the back about 15-16 foot (different people use slightly different values ) The very best method is to buy or build two radius dishes - you can use them to sand your braces as well as to back up when you clamp. They are expensive and you probably don't want to buy them for one build.

On my first I made a couple of radius cauls - took a piece of 2x2 scrap and traced a 24 foot and 15 foot arc on them, sawed them on a bandsaw and use them both for sanding the braces and for backing up when I glue them to the top and back.

The last method is to simply trace the curve on your brace stock and sand to that line. I would clamp all the back braces together and sand them as a unit, do the same with the top X braces. The exact radius is as important as having some (flat top guitars are not really flat) and that it be smooth so you get a really good glue seam.