Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:07 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Hello, I would like to build a Firebird style guitar with the through-the-body neck.
I have a fairly decent set of pland for it. Does anyone have any suggestion for undertaking this? Any pros or cons out there?? The headstock calls for a 13 degree angle...should it be a scarf joint? Also, any suggestions on where I can get a blank the required size? ...3.75 width, 1.75 thick, 42.50 long. Thanks for any input...Roger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:18 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I've never built a firebird (though i want to) but i have built similar gibson styles. I use a scarf joint for the angled headstock but usually do it a little less then 13 degrees. The one thing I would watch out for would be to make the part of the neck below the fingerboard in the body section slightly lower then the rest so that (if you're using a TOM bridge) it will be able to get low enough to have descent action and freedom to adjust the action. As for the blank i just usually go to a local lumber yard for pieces that size, the ones around me usually have mahogany if you plan to stick to accurate firebird materials. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:52 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: james
Last Name: wilson
Focus: Build
hi, i have recently started a firebird type build, i made the center portion out of a few pieces of 4 quarter flat sawn maple, turned on edge & glued together, i got the headstock cut from this piece,( no scarf joint ) my layout wasnt perfect, i didnt have enough depth to get the neck angle, i had planned for a tone pro's but now im using a very nice hardtail bridge, this is my second build & i look forward to to some updates on your bird. james

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:50 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Go check out DougK on www.reranch.com/forum He is building awesome Firebirds on his CNC. You can get a great idea of what he is doing from all the pics.

JD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:55 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

here is a bass he is doing: http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=24369

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:19 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Hey, thanks for all the info. Those CNC firebirds are mighty pretty!! Nice job! What do you sell them for? Just curious.....they look like a nice solid package. Thanks again, Roger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:46 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I think Doug gets $700 for one. Basically I think you get the CNC body, the neck has been hand shaped and your choice of routes and hardware routes too. All holes are pre-marked for drilling (IE Tuners, bridge etc). I am not affilliated with Dough, but I know he's a good guy.

JD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:59 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I am wanting to build a firebird style, too. Are plans available?

Thanks

Danny R. Little