Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I was hoping to get a carvin next year but I think someone on here might be able to do better. I have the hardware and electronics and i will get a gibson headstock overlay as well as the fret board material. The mahogany body, single layer birdseye maple trim and maple neck material need to be supplied by you.

I was thinking of somthing like the picture below.

This is the top I have. It is only 5/16" thick.

If that is too slim for a carved paul top let me know and I will look into a strat.

Id like the neck pocket to be like the new les paul customs. Kinda like an hourglass rather than just a block. That is not critical. Also, i would like to have an asymetrical neck.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
For a full-on recurve Les Paul top, you need about twice that thickness. You might be able to get close to a full-carve look by pulling some tricks: http://www.jetguitars.com/endview.html but whoever builds it would have to look at that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bandit1200s wrote:
...and i will get a gibson headstock overlay...

What do you guys think?

I think Gibson wouldn't be too happy, if you told them about it. Besides, why would you want a Gibson headstock overlay on it if it was build by somebody else?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:49 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Welcome to the OLF Bandit! [:Y:] [clap] [clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

There is contradiction in your post that needs clarified. So do your want Birdseye maple or Quilted maple as you show in the photo. Birdseye is little dark dots your photo is quilted.

Can you live with a bolted neck or do you want a set neck lots of things to workout if you commission a build. I doubt you will get any of us to touch putting a Gibson peg head overlay on it. Now the split diamond trapezoidal inlay, as long as it is not an exact duplicate of Gibson is not a big issue but If I was to do this the only logo that would go on it would be mine and most certainly not Gibson's

If you want to discuss the possibilities of a commission email me at michael@mp-hand-crafted-guitars.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:56 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

This is birdseye maple
Attachment:
maple_birdseye.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for the welcome!

For the headstock I would like it to also be the quilted maple.

Correct, I would not want it to say Gibson or use the overly. I would like it to have the same shape as the picture, the diamond style inlay, and the maker's name/logo.

For the Birdseye I was referring only to the binding (single layer - thick) and the neck materials. The top would be the one pictured. I bought it before realizing that it may be too thin for a carve top. I would not be opposed to a flat top les paul instead.

The fretboard would be braz rosewood, or other exotic, with a simular grain pattern as in the rendering. Can't remember what was used for the board in the pic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lars
Last Name: Stahl
City: Stockholm
Focus: Build
Why would you want keep that peice of wood on the photo for another style of guitar if to thin, why not let someone in here, like Michael build you the style you were first referring to with another piece of maple ??

Beautiful guitar though !!
Lars.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:01 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

^ I suppose you are right. Instead I can just use that piece for my first build which will most likely be a flat top.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:16 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I have done a few LP type guitars email me at lynndorsey@centurytel.net and we can discuss it. Also I can send you some pics of some of my work. Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:54 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

I will say that typically carved top LP’s have faux binding. I.e. the binding area is masked and painted to desired look. But it is possible to bind a carved top LP with some proper fixturing. I will also say tht most builders will want to work from their own stock. In particularly when it comes to wood stock. Knowing the moisture content, how it got there, knowing that the wood has been in their shop environment for a good period of time and if the wood was kiln dried or air dried are important things to the predictability of working the wood.

I had rather be responsible for wood I went and got form known sources and brought in hose long enough to properly acclimate to my shop conditions rather than have a client provide me with wood he picked up that I have no known info on. The thicker the wood the longer it takes to acclimate.

I would love to do this guitar but I would want to supply all the woods. Not a problem working with your electronics but I could not stand behind them other than the craftsmanship of installation.

Sweet looking LP by the way. It reminds me a bit of a curly maple LP I saw Mick Ronson playing during the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars tour in 72-73

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michael Dale Payne wrote:
I will say that typically carved top LP’s have faux binding. I.e. the binding area is masked and painted to desired look. But it is possible to bind a carved top LP with some proper fixturing.

WADR, I disagree...Faux Binding is often used on PRS carved tops but I have never seen it used on a Gibson LP. Gibson typically uses plastic binding which is infinitely easier to install than wood binding. Check out the pics of one of my recently completed electrics. The curly Maple, while challenging in the horn and headstock, is possible.

Attachment:
Emily 002.jpg

Attachment:
Emily 009.jpg

Attachment:
Emily Neck Join (sun) 5-08.jpg

Attachment:
Emily Back Peghead (sun)-5-08.jpg

Attachment:
Emily-AZ- 003.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:32 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I'll say it again JJ that is the prettiest LP that I have EVER seen! [:Y:] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

And I'm still blown away by the maple binding around the cutaway!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:28 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

That is a beautiful guitar JJ Donohue.