Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hey all,

This is my second bass. I've built about 50 guitars now and never have a problem like this. My first bass was a 36in scale 5 string and the action came out really nice on that one. This one in question is a 32in 4 string. I know from guitar experience that the shorter the scale length the more buzz you get for any given action height so they tend to need to be a bit higher over the 12th fret. I guess my question is how much buzz is acceptable on a bass? I don't play bass so I don't have a good feel for what action is good, and believe me I know it is subject to personal preference but of course there is a reasonable range. Most of the buzz is on the first 8 frets or so, the very first fret being the worse, I know this sounds like a relief thing but even with dramatic relief it buzzes.

If I set this bass up with some relief in the neck and the bass string at 4/32 and the treble string at 3/32 it plays with minimal buzz. But when I go down to the local music store and play the Warwick's down there they are low (1/16th over the 12th) and buttery and still don't buzz. I know they use longer scales so perhaps that is why.

So for those who build and play short scale bass's can you give me an idea of what is an acceptable range of action. This bass has a mahogany neck with maple runners. I was wondering if the neck vibrates too much causing more string vibration. The frets are medium jumbo and very well leveled and crowned.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Stephen
Last Name: Ziegenfuss
City: Jackson
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Focus: Build
I have never built or played such a short scale bass, but from a fairly extensive history with basses, I always say a little buzz is expected and somewhat desired...

When I am setting up a bass, I make it so (unplugged) I hear just a tinge of fret buzz happening when grooving above the 12th fret...Usually, the buzz gets eaten by the lower frequencies that have so much more energy when amplified. If the buzz is so bad you are losing sustain, then there is a problem...

Obviously, I do this part of the set up after I adjusted my relief...

It is kind of hard to quantify...

Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:14 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

The first thing that comes to mind is does your neck have any S-curve. If so, that's a truss-rod issue.

The second thing is try changing strings to something heavier. We build a 32 to 34.25" fanned-fret so only the G-string is at 32", but our standard setup is 1/16" over the 12th fret on the G, 3/64" if the customer requests a low action. I've set them as low as 1/32" on the G, but you can't get any dynamics with an action that low.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I try to borrow a bass that is similar to the one I'm setting up, then replicate the action on the other one.

It's worked well numerous times but from memory I don't have a clue what the numbers are. These other posts got you covered on it though, looks like.

Nothing like having a pattern to go by.