PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:06 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Greg
Last Name: Livingston
City: Cooranbong
State: NSW
Zip/Postal Code: 2265
I'll finish up here by reporting that a set of Regular Slinky strings went on yesterday after winding the neck camber back a bit and tidying up the frets. I now have 2 centre strings intonated at maximum adjustment, 2 high strings intonated with saddles slightly forward and 2 low strings that are only fractionally out of intonation with no adjustment left.

The guitar is now very easy to listen to and my son is happy. Even his untrained ear did not like it before. I'll fill the gap and make a new scratchplate to fit the forward neck position some time soon.

I have learned some valuable lessons here from my own mistakes and also from the help offered within this forum.

Moving on, my next mission is to build an acoustic. I have already purchased some plans and reading material that provides home workshop tips to building using simple equipment. I'm undecided whether to go with a kit or just go for it from raw materials. I already have a neck blank (maple) and a precut Martin fingerboard I picked up last year so I'm leaning toward from the ground up.