Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I hope this is OK with Lance and Brock. I am not prepared to really do this on a commercial level. However, I have a Marlin Router Duplicator and I have a Corian Master Maple Top Carve Pattern. I am working toward kits. I have three such bursts in line for build. I cannot sell a top alone. The conditions for purchase and use of that Master , included a requirement that no unattached tops may be carved and sold. Therefore, I am working on a glued up body and a bandsawn neck blank. Routing for binding would be an option-binding rout occurs very early in the build compared to acoustic procedure so it would usually be done.

The Master was done from measurements taken on several genuine 59-60 Les Paul Bursts and John Catto also assisted the fellow in Sweden who developed the carve program. A great deal of effort went into getting the carve right for a semi-production line guitar of the era. For those who just want a top, I can refer you to the authorized producer from whom I purchased my Master. He and the fellow in Sweden may legally offer tops alone.

My mahogany is Central/South American(called Honduras). My neck stock comes from Hibdon, a well respected supplier of luthier quality woods. My body mahogany comes from another source-that supplier is doing the mahogany sub-bodies for me-perimeter to my vintage spec pattern. That gentleman has top quality wood as well and he planes and "wide-belt" sands to 1 3/4" thickness for me. My email is jetobeyatmsn.com. If this has commercial level interest, then I will set up protocol with Lance and Brock. Best regards to all, Mike Tobey