Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Epi makes a Sheraton ll which comes with 57 clone type humbuckers.

Customer bought a new guitar then wants me to switch out the pickups, pots, and switch and jack.

Turns out the stuff he bought didn't all work.

Where can a person find CTS 500K pots with the short shaft?

Also needed an authentic short three way switch for Gibson.

And he wanted Gibson jack, but I know a lot of times Manufacturers use other makes even if it says gibson on the part.

I put the 57 Classic Gibson Pickups in and sent it home, but suspect it will be back for the pots switch and jack. TIA for comments.

JOKE: Why does Gibson make their parts reversible? So some jackass like me will get all confused working on them. :)

No kidding: 1. You can switch the Humbucker rings if you aren't careful. Then you can have them in the right pickup and put them in backwards.

2. You can put the neck and bridge pickups in the wrong holes. And you can have them turned 180 out really easy.

3. You can put the saddle in screws forward or screws aft. I wanted to do it aft since I've worked on way more fenders. But they go toward the neck. Hard little suckers to get to.

4. Pot hole switcheroo. Dang all four pots will fit all four holes, sixteen possibilities, oh dear. Fortunately I paid attention to the jack and knew it went all the way back. You better draw you a map as you take each one out.

Got it back together, everything looks great and sounds good, nice intonation too. But I have a suspicion it will be back for the CTS goodies....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
Bruce, you can get CTS short shaft pots and everything else you need from Allparts. They even have a "Gibson" parts department. As for the 1/4" jack, I believe Gibson uses Switchcraft jacks(and if they don't, shame on them).http://www.allparts.com/

Bruce Dickey wrote:
No kidding: 1. You can switch the Humbucker rings if you aren't careful. Then you can have them in the right pickup and put them in backwards.

2. You can put the neck and bridge pickups in the wrong holes. And you can have them turned 180 out really easy.

3. You can put the saddle in screws forward or screws aft. I wanted to do it aft since I've worked on way more fenders. But they go toward the neck. Hard little suckers to get to.

4. Pot hole switcheroo. Dang all four pots will fit all four holes, sixteen possibilities, oh dear. Fortunately I paid attention to the jack and knew it went all the way back. You better draw you a map as you take each one out.

LOL! I have done every one of those at least once.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Mike, I checked AllParts online and didn't find them easily. Maybe they do. I've gotten lots of Fender stuff from them before. Yeah, this was a trip to work on because everything it seems could be put in backwards.

I did learn one thing, pots don't care in which direction you tighten them in, it's the knob that matters. I think I like the squarish Gibson knobs better than the Hat style.

This guy is real happy with the pickups alone and we'll find the rest of the stuff in there too eventually. Elderly instruments has his CTS pots as well. That is one heck of a place Elderly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:55 am 
Koa
Koa

Here you go. http://www.allparts.com/store/electronics-500k-pots-ep-4386-000,Product.asp You can also look under their Fender factory parts, as CTS short shaft is standard for them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Mike, been busy but this is coming around again. Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

Another route you might investigate is if you have a local music store who is a Fender dealer. I do, and they carry Fender replacement parts. Since Fender uses the CTS short shaft pots, he carries them. They're around $13, and I don't have to wait(or pay) for shipping.