Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Matthew
Last Name: Dollinger
City: Beaverton
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97005
Focus: Build
I am getting more and more interested in winding my own pickups and had a few questions that just wouldn't translate well into a google search. I understand a little of the concepts around how pickups work...kind of like a speaker in reverse (way over simplified analogy, I know) :)

Ok...question one. Is there any merit to having individually wrapped poles/magnets for each string, instead of all of them wrapped on a single spindle?

...And question two...aside from being a major pain to build, would there be any benefits to wrapping in a figure-8 pattern around the poles? I have read about differences happening when the wraps cross over each other too much (uneven/sloppy windings). I was just wondering if these changes could be used on purpose to make an interesting/unique sound.

I am always full of ideas...I just can't guarantee that they are 'good' ideas. laughing6-hehe

-Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Great info...thanks!

I'm not sure what I am trying to get from these alternate winding methods. Mostly, I am just 'thinking out loud'. :-)

-Matthew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:16 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Quote:
Ok, to address question 1, I've heard of ONE bonus about doing something like this. And it doesn't need to be individual poles, you could do it in as few coils as simply taking the top three and lower three poles and doing two coils. If you were to have the top and lower three poles in different coils, and they were reverse wound, reverse pole, you could essentially get a hum cancelling effect in about as close as you can get to still being a traditional single coil. There's a guy that does this, and I know Jeffry Jones uses some of his pickups in his guitars.

Here's a single coil humbucker that I built. It worked well, just what I was looking for. Here's what it looked like under the cover.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

John Platko wrote:
Quote:
Ok, to address question 1, I've heard of ONE bonus about doing something like this. And it doesn't need to be individual poles, you could do it in as few coils as simply taking the top three and lower three poles and doing two coils. If you were to have the top and lower three poles in different coils, and they were reverse wound, reverse pole, you could essentially get a hum cancelling effect in about as close as you can get to still being a traditional single coil. There's a guy that does this, and I know Jeffry Jones uses some of his pickups in his guitars.

Here's a single coil humbucker that I built. It worked well, just what I was looking for. Here's what it looked like under the cover.

Way cool! I am probably gonna start with winding a spool or two and see how it performs compared to a standard single coil (hmmm...time to make a test rig I guess) for just one string. Still debating on the size of each spool/pickup...maybe wide enough for one to 'cover' two strings at once? Won't know until I try! laughing6-hehe

Thanks again for the input folks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:18 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brett
Last Name: Faust
City: Puyallup
State: WA
Zip/Postal Code: 98373
You mean just like a P bass? :)