All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spray gear question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:39 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Steve
Last Name: Marsh
State: Cornwall
Hi everyone, Not been on here much, 'specially lately, been really busy, but NOT with guitars :cry:
Got a question about spray equipment. I'm going to get a compressor and gun and stuff, fed up using aerosols and I want to be a bit more versatile. What would you recommend I get?
Fairly basic tech info will do for now, such as min pressure output, capacity etc, and type/size of nozzles and stuff. It'll mainly ( I think) be a two part finish for guitars, but there'll be other stuff too. I've got to re-spray a wing for my daughters car, and at some stage I'll want to do metal flake type finish too.
Any info will be really helpful.
It's on a REALLY tight budget, which doesn't help.
Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Spray gear question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:56 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

If you're just using the compressor for spraying, not tools, I recommend a small 10 cfm oiless. You can pickup a cheap one @ Costco. They're loud as heck but won't mess up your finish with oil mist.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:51 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

We don't have Harbor Freight here in Canada so I can't comment on their guns. But you can get a pretty decent offshore gravity feed HVLP gun for roughly $50. Look for a 1.3 needle/air cap. Buy one for clearcoat, another for metallics, another for white and one for transparent colors to avoid cross contamination.

Pickup a water trap and a regulator if the compressor doesn't have one. Buy a book on painting motorcycles. http://www.bigestores.com/sourcefiles/s ... quest=true

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Stevie,

I don't know if you are interested or not but I recently posted in the classified section and near new Fuji Mini Mite 3 HVLP unit for sale at a good price with XT-2 gun, 1 quart pressure feed pot, 1 quart gravity feed pot, 1.4mm tip set (perfect for lacquer finishes) Cost far less than rigging up for a comprable conventional compressor system. It requires no compressor, no oil or moisture traps, comes ready to use and reduces over spray very significantly. Take a look if interested. I personally use a Fuji Q4 system very much like the MM3 except four stage vs 3 stage turbine and the Q series has a silencer built in. I much prefer using the HVLP turbine units for many reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:15 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Thanks guys.
Whoops, I should have said I'm in the UK, and there's not a Costco or Harbour Freight over here!! I can find what I need though, it was finding out what I need in the first place :D

I might have been interested Micheal, but as I said, I'm in the UK, so postage will probably be a touch expensive------and I can't get on to classifieds to look anyway 'cos I don't subscribe to it!!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:35 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Stevie M wrote:
Thanks guys.
Whoops, I should have said I'm in the UK, and there's not a Costco or Harbour Freight over here!! I can find what I need though, it was finding out what I need in the first place :D

I might have been interested Micheal, but as I said, I'm in the UK, so postage will probably be a touch expensive------and I can't get on to classifieds to look anyway 'cos I don't subscribe to it!!

Cheers.

yea I should have picked that up from your profile.

Actually shipping is not that bad. it would be roughly $30 US delivered with in 6-10 days If you are curious Google Fuji Mini Mite 3 and you would get more info than I could write. If you want a photo of the actual unit I have for sale PM me your Email and I will email to you first thing in the morning or later this afternoon If I can get home at lunch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:36 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

E mail sent. I think I'm going to go for a compressor, it'll be a lot more versatile, but I'll have a look anyway, if that's ok?
It seems to be quite a nifty handy sized unit.
Cheers.