Post subject: reccomendations please?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:25 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Scot
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 91776
Focus: Build
I am new to the site and was directed here with the statemant that this is the place I should be looking for answers to my questions. I look forward to learning from everyone and watching as the builds progress through each stage of the builds.

I am looking to build my first Electric Solid body guitar. Something about playing a guitar that I made with my own hands just speaks to me.

Right now I am just starting the research for this new obsession and so far I have picked up one book by Tom Hirst called "Electric Guitar Construction for the first time builder" It seems to be a decent book. But it is lacking the detail I am looking for. I have 3 other books from amazon on the way and was wondering if there is another book that you all would reccomend. Or maybe a DVD. I seem to learn better by watching someone actually do something rather then just reading about it.

The books I have on the way are....

Make your own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock
Building Electric GUitars, Solid body, Hallow body and Simi Acoustic by Martin Koch
Build your Own Electric Guitar by Martin Oakham

I also plan to get the StewMac book on Guitar Finishing when I place my next order with them.

Do these books seem like a good place to start my education? Is a book or DVD that you would suggest I add to the list?

Thank in advance for any help you can offer!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

Welcome, Scot! The first two books you mention come highly recommended around several forums, each depending who you talk to. I am sure you will get much more responses, but since I'm only just building my first scratch built electric(though I've built several from parts), I can't offer much more advice, except the following: there are two other places on the 'net you should check out.
1-The Musical Instrument Makers Forum(MIMF), specifically their solid body forum, and

2- The Telecaster Discussion Page (TDPRI). Their Tele Home Depot forum contains an incredible number of builds, both from parts and from scratch by beginners as well as old hands. I am documenting my first one there as well. An unbelieveable wealth of information which you should not pass up.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:44 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Scot
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 91776
Thank you for the info Mike. I will check em out. [:Y:]