All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:11 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Scot
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 91776
Focus: Build
I have found a 20 plus year old Les Paul Copy in my closet. I forgot it was even in there until recently. It was a friend's from a long time ago. He doesn't want it so I have decided to turn it into a project for me to learn on.

The first thing I did is strip it down. It is a bolt on neck so I removed that. Removed the bridge and saddle (what was left of them anyway) I then removed the last pick up that was still left in her. (This thing is routed for 3 pick ups instead of 2 like a standard Les Paul. Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind this?) I then removed the input jack, and the 3 remaining pots and all wires from her. The connectiones were not even soldered. Just wrapped in hopes that they would not shake loose. The screws that were used to bolt the neck on were ones you would use for carpentry gaah They were too long so whoever had the guitar before my buddy just sheared of the points by about a 1/4 and rammed the screws back in. (The neck was not stable)

So here are my thoughts. I can either keep the original sunburst finish. It's actually not in too bad a shape. A few dings and nicks here and there. Kinda what you would expect from a guitar that is 20 plus years old. There is a chip missing about the size of a dime right behind the bridge attatchment point. So I would like to know how to repair that chip. It is down to the original wood. (It almost looks like it is a veneer top and that the top layer of the vaneer had been dinged and then peeled off) I'll try to post pics later.

Or I can just refinish her and start from scrach.

Her next problem is that she is routed for 3 pups. I can either install 3 new pups (the easiest solution) or I can find a way to cover and fill the middle pup position. If I choose to go that route can someone advise me on the best way to do it. Also - which option would you coose to go with the middle pup area?

Next is down inside the pup cavities there is a crack that runs through the top 2 and most of the 3rd pup cavity. So I would need to repair this.

I will need to retrue the neck. Fill and redrill the holes for the screws. (what is the best option for doing this?)

Then I would need to add the new pups and rewire the entire thing. New switch and input jack. Basically replace all the electrical.

Can anyone here give me some ideas on how to approach this repair job. And before someone mentiones it, I don't want to scrap her because I want to use her as a project to learn and to practice on. :D

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Philadelphia
I have a friend who had one of these cheap Japanese LP copies that he spent months repairing, re fretting and refinishing. He put EMG pickups on it and grover tuning gears and in the end he probably spent $400.00 for a guitar that originally probably went for $59.00. idunno Well in the end he ended up with the most expensive $59.00 guitar i ever seen. What did it sound like? It still sounded like a $59.00 piece of crap that it was. Take the money your gonna spend and maybe buy a kit guitar. In the end you end up with a decent playable guitar without all the headaches this thing will bring you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:32 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

MRS wrote:
I have a friend who had one of these cheap Japanese LP copies that he spent months repairing, re fretting and refinishing. He put EMG pickups on it and grover tuning gears and in the end he probably spent $400.00 for a guitar that originally probably went for $59.00. idunno Well in the end he ended up with the most expensive $59.00 guitar i ever seen. What did it sound like? It still sounded like a $59.00 piece of crap that it was. Take the money your gonna spend and maybe buy a kit guitar. In the end you end up with a decent playable guitar without all the headaches this thing will bring you.

I was thinking the same thing. But I want to use this guitar as a learning tool. Since I'm just starting out I can try techniques that I will need for my own project on this hunk o wood instead of my project that I do care about.

As far as wasting money on this project, I don't care so much about that. I just want to see if I can get her up and running again. Kind of a challenge to myself more then anything. I'd rather make mistakes on this thing then a new build project. [:Y:]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:35 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Here is a link to some photos of the LP copy. If anyone can shed some light on this guitar it would be much appreciated! Or Offer some advice on a coarse of action for the rebuild. I would like to cover the middle pick up route and build that area back up.

http://s992.photobucket.com/albums/af50 ... 20Project/

sorry for the poor quality pics. I can't seem to get decent close up pics with my Canon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
A possibility halfway between 'rebuilding and refinishing' and 'throwing in the trash' would be to use the neck (assuming the truss rod is OK) and the hardware, and get some real wood and make a new body. You could use the old body as a guide when you are making up router templates, setting neck angle, etc.

As you mention, a lot of cheap guitars have veneer, not a real solid wood cap, so refinishing will be tricky. If you want to fill in the middle pickup hole, a paint finish would be one quick and dirty way to hide the mismatch.

For the bolt-on neck, I'd go with threaded inserts and machine screws to replace the wood screws.
Cheers
John

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:57 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Martin
Last Name: Edwards
why 3 pups?

because it's a Les Paul copy!!

some of the Gibsons had 3 y'know!!

see?

as to the idea of salvaging it & using it as a learning tool?

go for it, but like MRS said, don't expect a $3000 result!!

Guitarfetish.com do some great pups for silly cheap prices, I've used them a lot and they're REALLY good.

I'd go for the Black beauty look.

gold on black which would cover the dings and chips of course!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Brent
Last Name: Mason
City: lorn
State: NSW
Zip/Postal Code: 2320
I think ditch the sunburst and go black or gold. If you really want the sunburst then cut a small piece to fit the missing bit behind the bridge and glue it in. On a test piece match the stain then mask off and spray the spot. sand and buff out. Dan erlewines book on finishing gives some really good tips. Glue and clamp the crack in the body. Fill the neck holes and the holes in the body with dowels glued in. then redrill to the right size.
If you want more info drop me an email and I'll guide you through the repairs as you come to them. I can wind some pickups for you if you want.