Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Focus: Build
Hi
Im newbie here.Im doing a refret job on a custom builted ibanez jem copy and there is a problem with fret slots being too deep(5mm).Do I need to fill these slots and what is the best glue for doing it?Does Titebond liquid hideglue good for it or do I need epoxy
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:35 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hi Juss - why do you want to "fill" the slots with glue?

Typically the frets are pressed or hammered in the slots and many folks use some glue to help lubricate the fret slot for the fret tang and to help hold the fret ends down.

I have not used the bottled hide glue but I know folks who use it for frets and I think this is probably a good idea. The part of the slot that has no fret in it just is left unfilled.

If you are talking about the exposed fret slot ends that you can see from the sides of the fretboard I have used black epoxy to fill these. I suspect that black CA, medium viscosity would be good too. Even glue with ebony dust if the fretboard is ebony will work just be sure to test out what ever glue that you use on scrap first and get the method down. Some glues will shrink back more than others too.

Welcome to the OLF!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:46 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

As long as the width of the slots are correct (about .022") then you should be ok with a little titebond in the slot. If you are not using binding, you can fill the gaps on the edge of the fb w/ epoxy mixed w/ a little sawdust then sand them flush. I'd advise against epoxy to glue in the fret - it's so thick that it may keep you from seeing if the fret is seated properly, plus if you have to do a re-fret at some point, the titebond will not have bonded the fret to the wood so much that you can't remove it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:04 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for your replys.
But doesnt the deeper(0.5mm) fret slots weakening the neck somehow.Because the fret tang height is only about 1.5 mm ,theres too much space left.
Thanks
PS sorry for my bad english

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I suppose you could fill the slots with epoxy then re-cut the slots - if you do that remember to tint the epoxy to the color of the fingerboard if the edges are not covered with binding.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
I wouldn't worry about it. Once it's assembled you're talking about a small gap, under a metal shim, in a material being put into a compression load. That material's only significant for strength if it so happens that your frets are going to squish under the load (unlikely).

If you don't like the look of it from the side then do as others have said, or just use a lacquer or wax fill stick to fill the visible gap on the side.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:45 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thats what I was thinking - the fret itself would keep the fingerboard stable and strong - you could make the case that the space under the fret could compromise tone - but I don't think it would be anything to be concerned about.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:31 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for your replays

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
There must be sufficient space under the fret when it is inserted so that the fret tang does not hit the bottom of the slot, which would prevent it from being fully seated. Others have addressed the strength issue, which is not a problem.