All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sound Demo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Stuart
Last Name: Gort
Focus: Build
I produced this to offer a clear example of the tone I'm getting out of this particular model guitar. See what you think.

The last quarter of this song a pure orchestration of JUST the guitar using the same setup to record for all tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/stuart-gort/moon-on-the-shore

StuMusic

Post subject: Re: Sound Demo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Very nice. What pickups are you using?

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:00 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michael
State: AR
I like the tune but...
I was hesitant on giving my opinion because I don't know how it will be taken but I'm hoping that our past helps you know my intention/reply is a positive one.

IMO it's not a "good example" of the tonal properties of Molly.
It's a processed recording of the guitar mixed to fit in with other instruments that prevent "isolation" of Molly...that I enjoyed.

I think a great example would be;
Direct with no effects.
Volume/tone on ten.
Whatever is played it is repeated for each pickup and combination of and the part covers the neck length and each part repeated with the tone rolled off to zero. ( I sometimes pick each string open in each pickup position/combination and roll the tone-now that I'm winding I try to check my guitars as mentioned. It's hard for me to rely on memory of how other pickups on a guitar sounded so having dry tracks to compare helps me.)

Years ago I bought a nylon string and was spending time recording- before I started building that took most of my free time- It happened I watched Unforgiven right after getting the axe so I recorded the only tune in the movie so I could hear the guitar hoping the on-line purchase paid off. ( a Cordoba Fusion 14 "RS")
I did add a little reverb ( and some rain/frogs LOL) but nothing else. I felt giving an example of my sound check to go along with my opinion would be a good thing.
Hope you agree Stuart.

https://app.box.com/s/w3yop9lb3x7364ih4cep - remember...it was really just a sound check.:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

B. Howard wrote:
Very nice. What pickups are you using?

Those are Lace Drop & Gains...the quietest passive pickups I've ever heard. Lace says they were built for drop tunings but I find the overall clarity to be the thing making them stick out. Lace also makes a pickup called the Dually....which allows you to pick among about eight different coils to assemble a humbucker. Good stuff.

StuMusic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sandywood wrote:
I like the tune but...
I was hesitant on giving my opinion because I don't know how it will be taken but I'm hoping that our past helps you know my intention/reply is a positive one.

IMO it's not a "good example" of the tonal properties of Molly.
It's a processed recording of the guitar mixed to fit in with other instruments that prevent "isolation" of Molly...that I enjoyed.

I think a great example would be;
Direct with no effects.
Volume/tone on ten.
Whatever is played it is repeated for each pickup and combination of and the part covers the neck length and each part repeated with the tone rolled off to zero. ( I sometimes pick each string open in each pickup position/combination and roll the tone-now that I'm winding I try to check my guitars as mentioned. It's hard for me to rely on memory of how other pickups on a guitar sounded so having dry tracks to compare helps me.)

Years ago I bought a nylon string and was spending time recording- before I started building that took most of my free time- It happened I watched Unforgiven right after getting the axe so I recorded the only tune in the movie so I could hear the guitar hoping the on-line purchase paid off. ( a Cordoba Fusion 14 "RS")

I did add a little reverb ( and some rain/frogs LOL) but nothing else. I felt giving an example of my sound check to go along with my opinion would be a good thing.
Hope you agree Stuart.

Not 100%....that test (more or less) is what I do for myself...but a recording like you suggest just isn't going to sell guitars. I forgot to mention it in my OP but you can read the text on Soundcloud in which I specifically say this track is design to show off the intonation and tone. The last part is all tracks of Molly with no accompanying instruments...all produced with one setup.
What you get there is me playing MANY different kinds of notes. Lots of dynamic types. I think it shows of the tonal capability....which a discerning player will hear through the processing. He or she will realize that the guitar responds to particular playing styles.

As far as general tone goes....you are right of course....but then again....you aren't likely to meet too many people among the buying public that can listen to that and discern much. Some will..but not many I'd bet. So...making a recording like you suggest....it's possible to do yourself more harm than good as people listen and then get bored with what they are hearing.

...and Unforgiven is Eastwood's best work. It the best western ever made.

StuMusic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:05 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michael
State: AR
I understand and appreciate your position. I know nothing of marketing guitars.
All that I have built were acquired by hands on players.

I hope it helps sell them faster than you can make them Stuart.

(corrected misspelled name-and my apology for doing so)

Last edited by Sandywood on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Sandywood for the post: Stuart Gort (Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:55 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: alan
Last Name: stassforth
City: Santa Rosa
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 95404
Hey Stuart.
I haven't been around the forum for a few years,
but I'm back now.
I remember you.
Anyway,
song is awesome, guitar looks unbelievable!,
tone is soooo musical on that baby!
Great job.
More pics of the guitar?
How much is you playing in the tracks?
Alan

These users thanked the author alan stassforth for the post: Stuart Gort (Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:31 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ty Alan,

I did all the playing and singing. That's the first thing I did after a fairly long recording hiatus without a proper studio.

This is Molly.... http://www.stuartkeithguitars.com/Molly.html All the guitar parts throughout the whole song are played on this guitar.

StuMusic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:52 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Good golly Miss Molly!!! She sounds great Stewart, good going!

PS: Unforgiven is indeed likely the best western with Eastwood ever made. His character development for westerns remains second to none and of course the "blinders on" sheer determination to avenge although a common theme in many films Eastwood takes to new levels that viewers, at least this one, certainly relate to.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly was another one is a category all it's own.

Before Gene Siskel died he had a theory as to Eastwood's dominance seemingly of any frame that's he's in. Siskel pointed out to fans that Eastwood's head is abnormally larger than most human heads and as such it contributes to his screen persona and presence.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Stuart Gort (Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:46 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: alan
Last Name: stassforth
City: Santa Rosa
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 95404
Wow !
You are an amazing guy, Stuart!

These users thanked the author alan stassforth for the post: Stuart Gort (Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:46 pm)