All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:55 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Alex
Last Name: Takacs
State: Illinois
Focus: Build
Hey everybody, it's been a while since I've been on here. I just graduated college and moved into an apartment so its time to start putting a woodshop together in my kitchen! I need a system to control the humidity in a small space. Im not sure where to look so I was hoping the fine folks on this forum could point me in the right direction!

I would rather buy something that is inexpensive but less durable because I need to populate and entire woodshop (which will be pricey). I don't even have a work bench or a band saw yet laughing6-hehe . My plan is to start off by buying a humidity control unit and my wood. Then, while my wood is adjusting to the environment, I can pick up a work bench and a band saw so that I can get started on the neck. I DO have about two toolboxes worth of tools and equipment for luthierie but there is a lot that I will still need.

So what are some inexpensive units that I should take a look at?

-Alex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: alan
Last Name: stassforth
City: Santa Rosa
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 95404
IMO, humidity isn't a big issue with wood storage for slab guitars, so....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Depends what you want; more humid or less? My first shop was in a high rise in Seattle with only south windows and it was just about right all year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:31 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Greg
Last Name: Maxwell
City: Mount Vernon
State: Ohio
You can get a whole-house portable humidifier from Lowes for about $200 that will work well. I use one for my 2 1/2 car garage shop and it has worked well for going on 6 years. Filters are available online and I get about 6-8 weeks from a set, depending on outside temps and humidity. Also, get a couple digital hygrometers made for cigar humidors, about $20. Calibrate these using a Psychro-dyne wet/dry bulb hygrometer and you will find that the accuracy of the digitals is off by varying amounts throughout the year as seasons change. I got my Psychro-dyne on eBay for $60. In the summer use a standard dehumidifier. In my experience, using these basic things will keep any shop that is reasonably sealed against excessive air exchange at the necessary 45-50% RH year around.

These users thanked the author Greg Maxwell for the post: Durero (Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:03 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Mark
City: Concord
State: NC
In Chicago you need a humidifier in the heating months if one is not built into your heating system(forced air only). Depending on your proximity to the lake, if you have AC you should be OK in the non-heating months. If you are close you may need a de-humidifier...especially if you don't have AC. Look on Craigslist. I bought a +$200 humidifier/humidistat (like a thermostat) for $45. You need a reliable hygrometer. I use a Samsung S4 phone. It has a decent meter and there are apps that allow you to calibrate it and keep a log.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Philadelphia
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
Focus: Repair
If the humidity is to high gets some Boston Fern's. They absorb moisture from the air. Certain other types of plants will do the opposite If your humidity is to low. They look nice and don't make any noise too.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Shaw for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:17 am) • Durero (Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:14 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Mark Fogleman wrote:
I use a Samsung S4 phone. It has a decent meter and there are apps that allow you to calibrate it and keep a log.

The Galaxy hss a hygrometer?! Is that an app?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Mark
City: Concord
State: NC
pat macaluso wrote:
Mark Fogleman wrote:
I use a Samsung S4 phone. It has a decent meter and there are apps that allow you to calibrate it and keep a log.

The Galaxy hss a hygrometer?! Is that an app?

Sorry Pat! I forgot to check the notification box for this thread and just saw your question.

Yes there is a physical hygrometer in the S4 along with a thermometer, barometer and light meter. The Android app I use is Weather Station. I think the S4 is the only Galaxy with the hygrometer but look into it before you make a purchase if this is a feature you want.

These users thanked the author Mark Fogleman for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun May 01, 2016 11:42 pm)