Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:07 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Focus: Build
I am throwing together a quick prototype acoustic / electric guitar and decided to add a neck angle set screw to adjust neck angle. It is an electric type neck joint. After all the work of shaping the saddle, it is a dream to just be able to loosen two neck screws, turn the hex wrench, and watch the fretboard move up to the strings. Since it is so easy and quick, I can lower the action until it starts to buzz, then back it off a hair. Resulting in a low action that is simply a dream to play.

Now I need to figure out a way to do this with acoustics, where the action is a surprisingly low priority.

I will post pics soon, I will finish in a week or two.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Philadelphia
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
Focus: Repair
Look into clock key adjustable guitar necks.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Whatever gave you the idea that action on acoustics are a low priority? I could see how you could get that impression looking at factory made guitars and even some luthier-made guitars where looks are everything. However, as a player and builder I consider a good action to be of immense importance and so do the other builders/players I hang out with.

By the way, my first acoustic had a Doolin type adjustable neck joint (as published in GAL) and I love being able to tweak the action seasonably. The only downside is that that design had the adjustment screw inside the box. I recommend a design where the adjustment is accessible from the outside.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Focus: Build
>>Whatever gave you the idea that action on acoustics are a low priority?
I am lamenting my experience with the majority of acoustics I have played being unusable for music that requires a fast, low action. Most of the repair work I have done is people requesting me to bring the action down.

Some may like / need a higher action, which is fine. But so many guitars leave the factory with a high action and are designed such that the problem cannot be fixed with saddle lowering (because of break angle or other issues). Which means a low action is not even permitted as an option without surgery (neck reset). With traditional dove tail joints, you pretty much are making a good guess and seeing where it lands. Maybe this is ok for skilled luthiers (not me :) ).

Pardon my excitement, I am just happy to have an acoustic like instrument that plays so well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:14 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: William
Last Name: Bustard
If the actions too high for me I just get thicker strings...;-)
I've seen this done with a neck extension. It would be similar to an old Framus or other Banjo;
by extending the neck inside the box down to the tail block and having a nut on the outside you can tweak the neck angle.
It doesn't have to have very much play at all and works good although I believe it tightens the sound a bit.
I would be similar to what I did with those oilcan guitars in the resonator section I did a few years back, only in wood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leonard
Last Name: Duke
City: Kalamazoo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49001
I have an Egmond acoustic from the sixties with an adjustable heel joint. The neck just under the fretboard butts up against a well made strong fulcrum that holds everything in alignment. Down by the bottom of the heel on the outside there is a plastic plug. Under the plug is a bolt that ends up at a nut visible inside the guitar on the endblock. The adjustment is easy, fast and can make extremely fine adjustments. This is a budget brand, from the Netherlands I think. The end of the fretboard just floats on the top of the guitar.
There are acoustic players who play all the way up the neck and appreciate intonation and consistent action!