Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:30 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

My son and I are building him a new guitar. My question is this, we are using a Gotoh Tremelo, where should I set the saddles on the Tremelo when measuring the scale length, in the middle of its adjustability?? I just want to make sure we are allowing enough to set the intonation. Thank you very much for any help you can offer.
Nate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:02 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michael
State: AR
Focus: Build
Take the scale-length measurement from the nut to the 1st string (little string) saddle. I like to leave a small amount of adjustment so the intonation can be sharpened -
or the saddle can be moved towards the head. (small amount= at least a few threads of the machine bolt showing- showing on the side of the saddle towards the nut and a lot of the machine bolt left on the "tail end" side.)

By doing so it mostly assures that there will be room for the 6th string saddle to move "back" far enough. Not unusual to see the 6th string saddle spring fully compressed.

Be precise when taking that measurement as you probably know. It's taken from the fretboard side of the nut to the center of the saddle (just in case you don't) and starting with the 1st string is important...the rest will/should set farther away from the nut. You may notice that the springs are different lengths.

Hope this helps Nate.

These users thanked the author Sandywood for the post: Nateswoodworks (Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:46 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:46 am 
Walnut
Walnut

That is a huge help-THANK YOU!!!!