Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:07 am 
Walnut
Walnut

My son figured out what he wants the inlay in the headstock to look like and where he wants it-this last one is the problem. The body and headstock are figured maple that will be dyed blue and will have black fading in from the edge (like a sunburst). The problem is he wants the inlay in the black, this is a smaller scripted inlay that will be very hard to accurately mask off. Has anyone ever tried the liquid masking like is used in the modeling industry? I see no reason it wouldn't work. Is there something I am missing?

Next is the topcoat. I spray a lot of water based finishes and I have seen several say that they have had great luck with GF's, is there a benefit to a nitrocellulose finish?

One last question, is there an additional prep step to avoid adhesion issues with pvc binding with the paint? My son is rethinking the looks of the black and white binding we put on. Since spraying a topcoat over it is not an issue I don't see why the paint would be but I really don't want to find out the hard way!

Thank you guys so much for the help on my last couple questions. I've been a woodworker for about 20yrs but guitar specs are new to me as is painting wood (is almost a sin! In the rest of my work!)
God bless
Nate