Walnut
Walnut

First name: Skip
Last Name: Ellis
City: Bradenton
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 34209
Focus: Build
New member - glad I found the forum!! Thought I'd show off my latest build 'in progress'. It's a 'jazz' Tele - chambered mahogany with curly maple top - string thru body with floating bridge. Controls for single Tele neck pickup will be on upper edge. Neck is mahogany with Maccassar ebony fretboard and 24.75" Gibson scale. Stewmac truss rod and jumbo frets. Neck thickness will be straight .85" from first to twelfth. I'm building this one for me for a change!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New Guy Build
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:40 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Surette
Pretty sweet Skip! Really like that maple top.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:04 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

chucksurette wrote:
Pretty sweet Skip! Really like that maple top.

Thanks -it was a board I bought from Ebay and resawed. Got enough for 2 tops and some extra for boxes, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Very nice !!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Looking at those pictures I would only add that you seem to have a LOT of prep left before you apply a finish. I don't see the back, but the sides need quite a bit of sanding and leveling. The top also. Most woodworking projects you can stop at 320 grit. Many luthiers will go up to 800 or 1000. The point its that the wood becomes almost burnished and you can see all the defects you are going to have to deal with when you rub out your finish. You may also want to chamfer the edges of the f holes or at least clean them up to be even and sharp. Finally, the edge of the drop top doesn't seem to mate perfectly to the body. Have you considered binding to cover that joint?

I am not saying this to be mean or dispiriting, I have a couple of my first that I was in a hurry to complete that now bug the snot out of me because of all the imperfections that could have been simply dealt with during final sanding and prep. I wish someone with a more experienced eye had helped me see that what I thought was "good enough" really could be improved a lot with just a day or two more work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:17 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Doesn't have a 'drop top' but thanks for the suggestions. To tell you the truth, I really don't like sanding - this was sanded to 220 and finished with wipe on poly. I'm not striving for factory perfection which I know how to do and have done on past builds. This one is for me and will probably never leave the bedroom. When I said 'new guy', I meant on the forum - not as a builder - I've been doing this for close to 40 years and have built quite a few instruments in that time. I don't really do it for other people any more and occasionally build one for myself. Still, thanks for your comments.

rlrhett wrote:
Looking at those pictures I would only add that you seem to have a LOT of prep left before you apply a finish. I don't see the back, but the sides need quite a bit of sanding and leveling. The top also. Most woodworking projects you can stop at 320 grit. Many luthiers will go up to 800 or 1000. The point its that the wood becomes almost burnished and you can see all the defects you are going to have to deal with when you rub out your finish. You may also want to chamfer the edges of the f holes or at least clean them up to be even and sharp. Finally, the edge of the drop top doesn't seem to mate perfectly to the body. Have you considered binding to cover that joint?

I am not saying this to be mean or dispiriting, I have a couple of my first that I was in a hurry to complete that now bug the snot out of me because of all the imperfections that could have been simply dealt with during final sanding and prep. I wish someone with a more experienced eye had helped me see that what I thought was "good enough" really could be improved a lot with just a day or two more work.