All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:06 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: James
Last Name: Greene
State: Maine
Focus: Build
Is there a source where I can buy custom colors to mix and spray with an HVLP gun such as those found at reranch in rattle cans?

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/fencuscol.html
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/blacwhitandg.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
For translucent colors like your first link I just add dye to nitro to get what I want. The StewMac Finishing book has a pretty good color chart if you want to match color. As always, experiment on scrap.

I've never shot solid colors in nitro (with exception of black rattle can for head plates). I have a friend who is a custom motorcycle painter, he also does guitars using two part automobile finishes. That is a whole 'nother level of finishing that I haven't attempted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Freeman wrote:
For translucent colors like your first link I just add dye to nitro to get what I want. The StewMac Finishing book has a pretty good color chart if you want to match color. As always, experiment on scrap.

I've never shot solid colors in nitro (with exception of black rattle can for head plates). I have a friend who is a custom motorcycle painter, he also does guitars using two part automobile finishes. That is a whole 'nother level of finishing that I haven't attempted.

I assume he's using a 2 part urethane type finish. I'm using simtec polyester for my seal coats and then topping it off with either precat lacquer or nitro lacquer. I've got a customer requesting specific colors. If I don't find a good source I may just rattle can it. Or I may buy the rattle cans and empty the contents of the can and transfer it into the HVLP gun. Or I may get in touch with ReRanch and maybe they'll sell the paint in a container other than a can.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Allan
Last Name: Bacon
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Believe it or not, I had one of the O'Riley's parts stores here custom mix a Nason acrylic enamel. I don't know what all they have for base material, but you could always check. At <$30/quart it was a good price too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Depends on the type of finish,not all colorants will work in all mediums. Some systems are very PH sensitive these days. For instance, Mixol works great in lacquer or 2K but will stop the curing process in most acid catalyzed systems.....

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leonard
Last Name: Duke
City: Kalamazoo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49001
Do you know what type of finish you want? The Reranch cans are nitrocellulose lacquer (often nicknamed "nitro"). Nitro is a traditional guitar finish. Mistakes can just about always be fixed. You must wear a respirator with activated charcoal to absorb the poisonous lacquer thinner. All this and much more is explained in the "Guitar Finishing Step by Step" book sold at the Stewmac website. They are also a source for clear nitro, transparent dyes for mixing traditional guitar finishes where the grain can still be seen through the finish, and a few opaque pigments for mixing with the nitro to make solid colors. I hope this helps. You might want to read the book before making further decisions.
The choice of the chemistry of your medium is the deciding factor as to what pigment systems can be used to mix a custom color. People do guitars with quite a few systems. I think nitro is easiest to learn, but people get great results with other types.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

philosofriend wrote:
Do you know what type of finish you want? The Reranch cans are nitrocellulose lacquer (often nicknamed "nitro"). Nitro is a traditional guitar finish. Mistakes can just about always be fixed. You must wear a respirator with activated charcoal to absorb the poisonous lacquer thinner. All this and much more is explained in the "Guitar Finishing Step by Step" book sold at the Stewmac website. They are also a source for clear nitro, transparent dyes for mixing traditional guitar finishes where the grain can still be seen through the finish, and a few opaque pigments for mixing with the nitro to make solid colors. I hope this helps. You might want to read the book before making further decisions.
The choice of the chemistry of your medium is the deciding factor as to what pigment systems can be used to mix a custom color. People do guitars with quite a few systems. I think nitro is easiest to learn, but people get great results with other types.

I've been sprayin nitro off and on for years. I'm simply looking for pre mixed colored lacquer that is not in rattle cans. For loading into an HVLP gun.