Post subject: Re: Finishing
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Allan
Last Name: Bacon
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Oh I have a fan pointing out one window and the other one open to get a good cross flow. Plus I'm shooting rattle can 2K so there isn't quite as much mist as there would be with a standard compressor and gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:38 am 
Koa
Koa

1: a proper mask is a no-brainer...to get it to work properly you should have a clean shaven face as any sort of beard will basically make it impossible to get the proper seal

2: proper seal: get said mask just tight enough so that when you put the palms of your hands over the filters and inhale you fell the suction against your face...it's better to have the mask too tight (uncomfortable) as opposed to too loose duh

3: be aware that overspray on plastic will easily flake off and cause some serious nightmares

4: my temp spray booths have been plastic stapled to my garage ceiling and weighted down via being stapled to 2x4's on the floor...using 2 zippers meant for such things and creating a doorway to easily get in...I've only used 1 fan for exhaust as, to me, logically having 2 fans (1 in, 1 out) creates a cross draft that seems rather risky to me as pertains to particulates (e.g. dust) getting on my finish

5: a simple, cheap, box fan has worked for me...higher velocity fans create too much of a 'vacuum' which leads to issues with the plastic moving (and overspray flaking off way too easily)

6: please ignore the above in regards to explosive issues (my (that's right, MINE) experience indicates that the fresh overspray is not explosive...I tested this theory by spraying lacquer straight into the fan with an extinguisher right next to me...it's the dried stuff on the floor and such that most likely explodes easily...I put tape over the air inlets for the brushes to isolate them and this of course leads to fan failing earlier than expected...again, CHEAP box fan...on that note be OCD about cleaning your spray area between coats)

7: obsessively reading about it all is just grand...experience trumps theory every time..e.g. just do it and learn from mistakes

again, my thoughts on explosive issues have caused 'issues' on this forum before...as noted many of the things required for commercial spray booths are related to toxins getting into the atmosphere...from my experience having my truck parked less than 15' from the actual point of my spray gun the most 'damage' I've seen is dried up lacquer dust, nothing has stuck (lacquer is sprayed, sucked out the fan and also agitated in the same process, traveled out the plastic tube made to make sure the stuff goes out the garage (with pieces of scrap plywood blocking off the area around the slightly opened garage door) and is dry by the time it hits my truck)...be like Hesh and be meticulous about keeping your work area clean and I THINK you'll be just fine...remember you're only spraying a bit of lacquer as opposed to a production shop...

lacquers DO contain some pretty bad chemicals...make SURE fumes get outside as opposed to back in the house...unlike Bill Collings I think such is a danger (yes, I'm aware he passed today, and I'm also aware (having read his ads for employees) that he thinks workers need be able to tolerate such fumes or not apply for a job there (I'll keep my very negative views on the way he ran his business (based upon things he basically bragged about) to myself)

my experience? best I can tell I've sprayed over 50 gallons of lacquer as has been required to pull of projects over time...I'd rather sub it out to a good painter than do it myself...it's basically labor intensive (FAR more time spent on prep than actual spraying) and I really hate the fumes present during the off gassing period.

over time (experience) you'll figure out how to set up your gun, mix your product to suit your gun/compressor, and find the actual chore of laying down the finish to be very easy...the devil is in the details!

3rd time is the charm: again, ignore my 'unsafe' thoughts on exhaust fans and go buy an expensive explosive proof one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mark
Last Name: Gammell
State: NE
Guys, thanks so much for all the input. It's a big help.

I think I have the booth thing figured out (for now), thanks to your help. Now for the spray gun. I don't really want to pop for a Devilbiss or something comparable, at least not yet. But I do want some thing that will hold up and do a good job. What are your thoughts on HVLP vs LVLP guns? Right now from my research, I'm leaning toward HVLP. I'm pretty sure my compressor will handle it as long as I'm doing guitars and not cars or barns. Are the offerings from Home Depot and such suitable for the task? Anything to look for or avoid?

Thanks again, guys!

Eric Cartman