It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:31 am 
Koa
Koa

City: winnipeg
State: manitoba
Focus: Build
I am building my first electric instrument, a simple lap steel based on plans for EH150 from JAGuitars. After 35 ukuleles,guitars and mandolas, this is a whole new thing
. Any help would be appreciated.

Unkabob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
unkabob wrote:
I am building my first electric instrument, a simple lap steel based on plans for EH150 from JAGuitars. After 35 ukuleles,guitars and mandolas, this is a whole new thing
. Any help would be appreciated.

Unkabob

Do you mean the pickup height? The distance between the top of the pickup pole pieces and the string? I usually start at about 6/64 on the bass side, and a hair closer on the treble side, 5/64. Then its just a matter of tuning to taste. Having said that, that's for a typical electric guitar, so I'd get that measurement by fretting the highest note and then measuring the distance between pickup pole and the bottom of the string. I would think with a lap steel since you don't depress the strings much, that distance would suffice without having to fret the highest note.

Those measurements are for a vintage style pickup. I've seen recommendations for anywhere between as close as 4/64, and as far as 8/64 depending on pickups.

I'm not sure if this would be a concern for a lap steel, or the particular pickup you're thinking about using, but with Strats I've had pickups too close can really interfere with the sound of the guitar, the magnets actually pulling the string out of tune and killing sustain.

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post: unkabob (Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:02 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: winnipeg
State: manitoba
Focus: Build
Thank you Conor.
I am just opening the pocket to hold the pickup and I needed to know how deep to excavate.

Unkabob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:27 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
unkabob wrote:
Thank you Conor.
I am just opening the pocket to hold the pickup and I needed to know how deep to excavate.

Unkabob

Gotcha. Sounds like you've got way more experience than me when it comes to building instruments, but I'll throw this out there just in case. ;) Every electric guitar I've seen (and that's a lot) has the pocket routed deeper than necessary and uses something to raise the pickup up to the desired height. Whether that's foam under the pickup, surgical tubing on the screw, or actual springs. So there's a lot of wiggle room, just don't go too shallow.