Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hey guys, does anyone have an American vintage re-issue jazzmaster or similar that they could take a couple of measurements from for me? I need to know the bridge post spacing and also the width of the neck heel (end of the neck).

Most resources put the bridge post spacing at 2 7/8” / 73mm.

And and according to many sources, the heel of the neck should be identical to the Stratocaster at 2 3/16 inches (55.5mm).

Just wanted to verify these.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I've got two here, a Mexican Jazzmaster body and neck and a partscaster I assembled (the body and neck are from precision guitar kits), both measure 2 7/8" for the bridge posts and the end of the neck measures 2 1/8" wide, which is the same as my 54 RI strat.

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post: Bosco Birdswood (Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Conor_Searl wrote:
I've got two here, a Mexican Jazzmaster body and neck and a partscaster I assembled (the body and neck are from precision guitar kits), both measure 2 7/8" for the bridge posts and the end of the neck measures 2 1/8" wide, which is the same as my 54 RI strat.

Thanks, Conor. Really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I was just thinking, I'm not sure what your intentions were behind your question whether you're building one, or doing some mods/repairs or something. But if you have a bridge in mind I'm sure you can get the measurements from the manufacturer, that way in the slight case that what you want to use isn't the same you won't be unpleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:54 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Conor_Searl wrote:
I was just thinking, I'm not sure what your intentions were behind your question whether you're building one, or doing some mods/repairs or something. But if you have a bridge in mind I'm sure you can get the measurements from the manufacturer, that way in the slight case that what you want to use isn't the same you won't be unpleasantly surprised.

I’m actually working with a guy with a laser cutter who is making JM templates for me. There is an abundance of misinformation online though, particularly with regards these two dimensions. The guy even spent $30 on blueprints from a reputable luthier supply place in Australia and both were wrong. They had the neck pocket at 57mm wide (2.244”) but the neck heel aperture on the pick guard as 55.2mm!!

I’ve since established that nearly all JM bridges have 2 7/8” bridge post spacing, and officially the heel width should be 2 3/16”, which tallies with a 1987 Fender blueprint, but most measure 2.200” which tallies with the blueprint from a 1962 Strat.

Here’s an interesting page corroborating all of this:

https://aperioguitar.com/2016/02/26/fender-heel-width/

ImageImage