Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
Peter Hopkins wrote:
JJ, I have tried to upload a shot of my Terrco taken with my digital camera without success. perhaps someone could advise me....

Peter-
I recently worked through a similar problem on another online forum.
Generally speaking, the picture has to be in the right format (usually jpg or jpeg) and also the file size has to be small. As digital cameras have 'improved' with high-pixel sensors, the 'default' image file sizes have gotten much bigger. Some of this can be changed using the camera's setup menu.
Many of the photo software packages (Photoshop elements, IrfanView, etc) have 'batch' resizing functions. If (like me) you don't like to clutter up your computer with powerful software when you need something simpler, there are specific resizing programs available as freeware or 'donation-ware'.
For my Windows XP machine, the one I ended up using was Mihov's Image Resizer- very basic but it does the job for me.
http://www.imageresizer.com/
It got a whole pile of pictures reduced in file size (but not image size on the screen) to below 50k - they are clear enough for online viewers to get the idea. (For me a helpful corollary is that they are just blurry enough to hide mistakes!- not something you need worry about.)

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Quote:
Wudwerkr, I agree with Haans. I haven't built a pressed top/back instrument, but my understanding is that they are most helpful when feedback at higher volume is an issue, as the laminations tend to deaden vibration. Carving from solid wood allows one to fine-tune the relationship between the top and back, which creates a more sensitive acoustic instrument with a broader tonal spectrum.

That makes sense , thus far all I have done is solid wood "flat tops" with no laminations that have a slight curve . So doing a Carved top will be a complete new idea . One I dont think im ready to tackle yet . But ... then again ............ :D

Quote:
JJ, I have tried to upload a shot of my Terrco taken with my digital camera without success. perhaps someone could advise me....

I use "windows Paint " program open file , go to " Image " then "stretch / skew" and type in 25% in two boxes and then save works everytime

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
JohnAbercrombie wrote:
There's nothing like trying to fumble your way through an archtop build (I just finished my first) to make one appreciate the skill involved.

How about a photo or two John. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

DannyV wrote:
How about a photo or two John. :)

Danny-
I don't know about the protocol for this- the pics and build description are over at 'the competition'- (MIMF).
I've directed a few beginners to the library over there this year already, so I don't want to push my luck with 'the powers that be' here at OLF!
;) ;)

Here's a pic....

Cheers
John

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
I love it John !! [:Y:] [:Y:] I am a fan of the " basics" in that you have made a stunning guitar without the fancy bindings , inlays etc: the wood and craftsmanship speak for themselves ! EXCELLENT JOB !! BEAUTIFULL WORK !!

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

Great stuff John. That's about as "basic" as a Ferrarri! Continuous rim, solid linings, pinned tailpiece, non-adj. bridge, "Parker" adj. neck. Have to head over & go through your build (first time I've seen it).
Quite a project. Congrats. (Maybe start a new thread here with some details)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks, guys.
I don't want to hijack this thread.
I also (really) have no idea about the 'standards' for posting the same project in two forums, etc. The 'owners' seem to be quite sensitive about copyright and other territorial issues at some of these places.
Anyway, if you don't know your way around MIMF, just send me a pm. I'm always happy to 'talk guitar'.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Images have to be 150KB or smaller. I'm not familiar with the Image Resizer John recommended, but there is also one that Microsoft offers as a free download for Windows XP. You have to scroll down on the page, but it is down about 3/4 of the way on the right. Very small program. Once installed, you can right click on an image, select resize in the box, click the large option, and it resizes to a pretty perfect size for maintaining quality. If you have a number of them to resize, you can select them all at once, and it will reseze all of them. It will also work in the image browse window, and you can do it when you decide which picture you want to upload. Right click, do the resize thing, then when it's done, select the resized picture. Here is the link to the Microsoft website with the file: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Down ... rtoys.mspx

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Lots of folks seem to like the Microsoft PowerToys package, but I've had problems with it in the past (on previous computers).
I'm sorta 'old school' - I like the smallest and least-integrated piece of software that will do the job for this sort of thing. Most Microsoft apps seem to want to 'take over' where I don't want 'em to interfere.

That said- lots of ways to solve the image resizing problem are out there.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
"Once burned,m twice shy!" I use it on 4 different Windows XP machines, and have never had a hitch, and I've posted about 650 pics on the forum without problems re size.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
John. That's awesome! I took a look over at the $100 challenge. Wow. wow7-eyes Man, you did a great job of documenting and posting that build. Nice to see all the steps along the way. Love the free beachwood top. Too cool. Some Hemlock is really nice and that looks like a great piece. Now that you've had a chance for it to settle in a bit, how's it sounding? I bet it's fun to play.

I'm pretty sure the next instrument that comes out of my shop will be an archtop. Thanks for sharing that. I think you should post the link.

All The Best,
Danny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:22 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Peter
Last Name: Hopkins
City: Penticton
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V2A 4E5
John, that's a super looking instrument. I really like the wood selection for the fittings. (Some of you guys might want to reconsider your "amateur" status!)

I'm using Lee Valley .020 scrapers with a hook angle of 3-5 degrees. They seem to have just the right amount of flex. I have the same problem when working into the grain. You just have to take it slow, and re-work it from the other direction once in a while.

JJ, Here's that shot of my Terrco. (Thanks, WudWerkr!) I made master moulds of my tops and backs with 1" "lite" mdf, and sprayed them with a couple of coats of thinned epoxy resin for durability. Not cnc, but out of the stone age and into the industrial revolution!

Attachment:
Modified Terrco.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Peter-
Thanks for the compliment, and the tips on the scraper. I guess I just have to be a bit more patient!

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:15 am 
Koa
Koa

Interesting to see your duplicarver Peter....beefy powerhead & belt stepup to cutter. I built a shopmade version from John Sargent's plans (MIMF), basic but portable & gets the job done (eventually).The router/stylus are fixed and I find I can only take about .100" per pass... much less than yours seems capable off.