Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: kevin
Last Name: waldron
City: Bell Buckle
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37020
Focus: Build
Guys,

Would there be an interest in molds that are cnc'd for using your duplicarving machines for making the top and back of F-5 or A-5 mandolin? We could probably offer the binding already cut out, at least on the scroll area (which is the most difficult as far as I'm concerned)

I was thinking about using Corian or Hanex for the molds. We have not produced this product yet but we have had some interest. What would be a fair pirce if we offered this product?

Thanks,

Kevin Waldron
Waldron Instruments, Inc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Keene
State: NH
if you're talking about duplicarver templates, I would be much interested. I was about to make some of my own, but haven't quite figured out how I was going to do it... - Justin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 am 
Koa
Koa

Kevin,

I am interested in a set of templates. Corian would be a great medium. No binding channels please, and, slightly over-sized/extra material by at least 1/8" around the rim, and slightly over-sized in thickness. Please add some ears at both ends to secure them to the table as well.
What is your time frame for delivery?

thanks,

live every minute...

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Kevin, let us know when you have them available. I don't really need the binding channels either, but some tabs for fastening them down is a good idea. -
Justin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Kevin, I'd be interested in some concave molds. This is not quite what you are doing here but if you already have the profiles in a CAD format you could easily make them into inverse molds. Not exactly what you were asking here so it is OK to PM me or send me email to alan at dunwellguitar DOT com and we can chat offline.

Alan D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Kevin, just checking in to see how these are coming. - Justin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Guys,

Sorry for the long delay in getting back with you'll but been really busy. We are now working on various molds both positive and negative and we are experimenting with various materials that would work best for a duplicarver etc. to follow. Hope to be able to give you some definite prices and materials that we could offer these in within the next 30 days. We have also been working on other instruments besides mandolin that require complex/compound carving..... violin...cello.....double bass....arch tops etc. We are also playing with the idea of steam bending halves to molds and gluing the halves together after they are formed, so we've been trying to find something that would hold up to heat etc. We're also trying to find out if you have to over compensate for the curves/carvings and spring back. Frank Finocchio has been steam bending all of his arch top guitars for some time now. Advantage is that you can use 3/8"-1/4" material to do the job and not have to cut thick stock. Most builders that I know feel that not cutting the radi makes the instrument stronger and may make the instrument have a fuller sound.... but disagreement will ...... always ...... disagree. I want take sized but I do like the fact that you can use thinner stock and probably a more varied variety of woods that haven't been used in the past.

Side note: we have been spending a lot of our time on inlay technique with the laser and we are going to be able to cut fret boards on the laser and we will have most of Depauls & Dominic Art stuff done so that we can laser pocket most of their popular inlay designs and offer these for sale with your choosen fret scale. Bottom photo shows tree of life in the ebony (the inlay is corian and the Asian rosewood is black plastic) super glue still on boards in for ground. We will also be able to offer the male part in wood and several other things if you want to use something sides MOP or Pau etc.

Thanks for your patience, just seems like it is taking forever.

Kevin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:46 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi Kevin, just checking back for an update on the duplicarver templates.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Haven't been ignoring you just been really busy making templates, parts, pieces etc....... I've had the files just had not done the toolpathing......

I have started the molds this week and should have some the end of the week. Do you need all 4......... top, top inside, back, back inside or even holding molds for the top and back. ( for cutting the actual tops we personally will be cutting the tops outside first then putting them in a vacuum mold to cut the top inside etc.)

You can see what I'm doing here if you like. http://waldroninstruments.com/page122.html

pm me or contact me at kevin@waldroninstruments.com for pricing etc.

Kevin