Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:23 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Hey all'
The forum header said similar instruments. So I hope this is an acceptable question here. I'm making a Concert size ukulele for my daughter and was wondering if the neck needed some re-inforcement. I could cut a channel and install a carbon fiber rod. But do I need to? The fingerboard area is 7 1/2 inch long.
Thanks
Bill Bounds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michael
Last Name: Schreiner
City: Miami
State: FL
Zip/Postal Code: 33183
Focus: Build
I don't think reinforcment in that short a neck would be necessary as long as your neck is quarter sawn. I am finishing up building 5 tenor Koa body ukes (curly maple binding) and just to be safe, I laminated my walnut necks with 1/4" piece of maple. It makes a pretty contrast and will stablize the neck. Fretboard is ebony. I used a single bolt to join neck to body. I am pleased as punch at the way they are turning out.
How did you join body to neck?? I solved many problems during this build so if you have any questions I would love to try to help if I can.
The ukes are for my 4 sons as presents this Christmas plus one for me.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:11 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Thanks for the reply Michael.
I think that I'll be making several also, My Son is due to go to Afganistan, I told him I'll send him one. He should have fun with that. And like a dummy, I asked a friend if he wanted to make him one. So thats three. The body is Mahogany, I'll bind that with some Zebrawood, I'm making some Padauk fingerboards, bridges and headplates. All from wood from other projects. I also have a nice chunk of walnut so I might make one for myself from that. I'm using some plans I drew up and the only questions I can think of is string height. How high is the saddle and nut? What strings do you recommend? And did you use an insert or use a lag bolt? I was thinking of one bolt and maybe a pin of some sort to help keep everything aligned. I've made a few guitars and used bolt on necks with those so I'm comfortable with that.
I wasn't planning on spending any money on these builds but I sure would like to buy some nice Koa for my daughters Uke. Nothing like it.
Bill Bounds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:37 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

This is how I did my neck attachment..
The insert in the neck is 1 1/8" below the fretboard. I did not need a pin for proper alignment as the ffretboard does that automaticly when I attach the neck. I am just beginning to make the bridges now but the bridge height on my sample is 1/4" and with the saddle added, the strings are 3/8 off the top.

Also.. I thought 5 ukes would go quickly but I find they take as long to build as 5 guitars!
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:34 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Michael'
Hi, I like the one bolt neck. But I'm sorry to hear that is takes just as long to build as a guitar. It was just a spur of the moment thing " just crank out a ukulele or two for my kids (in their 20's) ".
Thanks for the info.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: winnipeg
State: manitoba
I guess that I am old fashioned but I use the Spanish heel construction. The general consenses is that a tenor ukulele has a total string pull of forty pounds so that no reinforcement is required.

For strings, Aquila strings are the best that I have tried by a long shot. I prefer the low G's for all of my ukuleles.

Bob :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Quine
City: Hudson
State: MA
Hey Bill

You might want to check out the Ukulele Underground forum for building tips and string set up info.
I've used carbon fiber rods on my Tenor ukes for reinforcement but nothing on concert sizes. None of my plans (and I have them all lol) call for reinforcement......its cheap an easy piece-of-mind though
I use tennon necks on my concerts because my fingers are too big to get a bolt through the sound hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:06 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Hey all"
Dang I didn't think of the 2 inch plus hole and my fingers. I already cut the neck length. I'll have to come up with a bolt glued to an allen wrench or something. Makes me wonder about glueing the bridge on. I'll do some pre planning.

I have Compiano's book on guitar, I'll check out a spanish heel. But that's all a completely different way of building for me. Nothing like learning a new trick.
Thanks, Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:56 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I always do bolt on necks cause if I mess up, I can build another neck or body and not have to lose all my work. :lol: I thought it might be hard to put the bolt in through the sound hole but it is really easy and a regular allen wrench comes right to the center of the hole to tighten and it is only 1" below the uke top. If you use a bolt on, use the shorter insert and have about a 1" heel block.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:10 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I just remembered you are building an instrument smaller than a tenor. Instead of a bolt you could join the neck and body with a biscuit or just cut a deep groove in the two sections and join with a spline (like a biscuit).
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:15 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Thanks Michael,
I have a few 1/4 inserts and I'll use one in each neck. That should do alright, I can always then pull the neck and make an adjustment. Warped neck or whatever.
Bill