Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

Post subject: My First Rosette Inlay .
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Ok so this is my first effort at rosette inlay . I routed the slot with a laminate router I bought for this , and adapted to make a circle . I did route sllightly to large . just the hint of a opening in the wood . SO I used Tite Bond Orig. and added some black die to see if it would blend in . I got a lil carried away and used to much glue . [headinwall] laughing6-hehe

Soooooooooo now to scrape !

Attachment:
100_1092.jpg
Attachment:
100_1093.jpg

I would Welcome any Suggestions on ways I could Improve my efforts . Seems from my viewpoint its just a matter of experience . However , please , suggestions are welcome

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Yo, Wud, I can't tell from your photo if you painted a little shellac sealer in and near the inlay channel before gluing. That would make clean up quite a bit easier, so try it next time if you didn't this time. I'm sure others with lots more experience than me will chime in with other ideas. It looks to me like you did a real nice job making your rosette. Cheers,
Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Scraped and sanded

Attachment:
100_1094.jpg

Quote:
Yo, Wud, I can't tell from your photo if you painted a little shellac sealer in and near the inlay channel before gluing. That would make clean up quite a bit easier, so try it next time if you didn't this time. I'm sure others with lots more experience than me will chime in with other ideas. It looks to me like you did a real nice job making your rosette. Cheers,
Patrick

No I didnt try shellac , thanks for the idea. And thanks for the compliment on the rosette , I toiled long and hard over deciding which one to buy ! laughing6-hehe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sound Hole Cut out and bound with the same material I am binding Guitar . Scraped and sanded .

Attachment:
100_1096.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
You bought it! Well, I guess the joke is on me! That's totally okay, though. My first rosette was one I made myself, and my skills weren't up to the task at that time. Frankly, it sucked. Or let't be generous and say it was rustic. You get the idea. I probably should have bought mine too. Doesn't matter. It's your guitar, your rosette, and I think you did a good job of cleaning it up. It'll be easier next time. Let's see this guitar when you've got her finished.

Cheers,
Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

cphanna wrote:
You bought it! Well, I guess the joke is on me! That's totally okay, though. My first rosette was one I made myself, and my skills weren't up to the task at that time. Frankly, it sucked. Or let't be generous and say it was rustic.
Cheers,
Patrick

I am not sure I want to try and make my own Rosettes , I get frusterated with intricate work like that " big countryboy fingers" . I may some day who knows . But for now , Im just happy to be doing the Basic stuff . I do appreciate the comments . I will try the shellac Idea next time , Thanks ! [:Y:]