Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Hi, my friends. I'm not talking about bending a side. I'm working with my second redwood top. The first one was brittle, but omigosh this one takes it to a whole new level. I'm working to a design that is very similar to my first mando. I will induce a 15' radius arch into the flat top with my bracing. I'm not worried about that. But, studying my plan, I realize I've got a vulnerable place where the top will glue down to the upper treble point. The sides were sanded with a radius dish, so the bend at this point is more or less diagonal to the grain lines, and the grain is very short on that point. Obviously, I don't want to crack my top there during glue up. I will thin the top a bit in this area prior to glue up, but my question is this: Can I ease the bend by pre-heating the point area of the top with a hair drier or light bulb before clamping it down? Take a look at the treble point on the outline plan, think about the grain orientation in that small area and you will see what I mean.

Many thanks,
Patrick

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
wow , yes i see what your saying and your concern . I "think" that will work however i am not sure . I would say experiment with a scrap before you try it on the top . I could easily see this going either way .

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Philadelphia
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
Focus: Repair
Thats going to be a very fragile area in my opinion. Good chance part of the point will crack off at the grain line. I think maybe applying direct heat from say an bending iron or silicon heating pad to coerce the area into a slight bend...Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:37 am 
Koa
Koa

Thanks, Mike and Wud. I've moved forward since starting this thread, including gently and gradually thinning that area of the top. The point is more flexible now. With the x-brace in, the top has taken its induced arch very nicely. I'll be letting the brace ends into the lining later today and then I'll have a better idea of how much farther I'll need to push the point down. With some luck, I'll glue the top on this weekend. Obviously, it's too late for the bending pipe, but I think I'm going to be okay. I'll do a dry run clamp down first. If a little triangle does crack off in the process, I'll plane down to a grain line (as if winging the top) and glue on a little replacement piece later. This is over the corner block, so it'll be secure once glued up. At this point, I'm actually more worried about trimming the overhang from this area. I will probably just patiently sand the overhang off in the point area. I do appreciate your responses. This redwood is pretty stuff, but omigosh it's tricky stuff to work.
Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:23 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Bill
Last Name: Paulin
State: Qld
Focus: Build
It sounds like you have it sorted. How about some pix ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:44 pm 
Koa
Koa

One last update and then we can let this thread die a natural death.

It turns out I was just in freak-out mode. I was worried that I had applied too much down-pressure on my sanding dish in this point area--and I had, but not by much. The biggest problem turned out to be keeping the top centered during the actual glue up, which I accomplished with two little registering pins. One is under the fingerboard ramp and one is under the tailpiece area. With everything dry-fitted and clamped, it was obvious that I had a gap of only about 1/32" to push down at the very tip of the point. I did the actual glue up this afternoon. Looks real good, but I'll have a fair amount of squeeze out to clean up. I'm counting that as a MUCH better problem than not enough squeeze out. The tip of the point rolled down and squeezed glue without any issues. I am a happy man. I'm toasting the glue up with a nice adult beverage at the moment. Later, I'm taking my loving wife out for a fabulous dinner (she'll be driving).

I've been lazy about photographing this project, but will do better from here on. When I have enough together to make it worthwhile for everyone, I'll launch a new thread.

Let's let this one die. My thanks to you guys for your suggestions and support. I really do appreciate the interaction and help I receive here.

Patrick