Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

Post subject: Hello All!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Eric
Last Name: Garrett
City: Seneca
State: South Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 29678
Focus: Build
Hi everyone,

My name is Eric and I'm obscenely new to uke building, like never actually done it new. I recently bought some jatoba back and side set for tenor ukes but have an issue. I need a way to thin the boards to working thickness while living in an apartment and on a serious budget. So far I've come up with double sided tape and a hand plane from Lowes and it is slow going. I would really appreciate any ideas any of ya'll have on a better way to do this.

Thanks a bunch ya'll, you got an awesome little resource here.

Post subject: Re: Hello All!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: winnipeg
State: manitoba
This may sound flippant but you should locate a builder close by who has a drum sander. Most hobby builders are easy to get along with and his experience could help you along the learning curve.

Bob :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Welcome! How far do you have left to go on the thinning, and how is the wood responding? If you're removing a decent sized shaving with each stroke, and not tearing up the surface too badly, then just keep at it. If not, then we'll need to diagnose the problem.

My weapons of choice for thinning are a cheap block plane with toothed blade (4 notches cut into it with a dremel wheel) and a card scraper. It's a lot of work, but those two can handle most woods, when sufficiently sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Eric
Last Name: Garrett
City: Seneca
State: South Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 29678
Thanks for the responses. The thinning is going well with the Cedar but i'm being really careful to make sure I have the two pieces the same thickness. The jatoba on the other hand is not going so well. It is very dense with an interlocking grain and I'm getting a bit of tear out. The toothed blade sounds like the ticket for this problem, thanks for the hint.
As to finding a builder how would i go about locating one near me? I would love the chance to find a luthier around my area to show me the ropes. For the record I live the upper tip of South Carolina in a town called Clemson. If ya'll know anyone around and could give me an introduction I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Quine
City: Hudson
State: MA
Don't go to final thickness before you glue the two plates together. You might not get a perfect match at the joint...one side a bit higher. You'll want to leave a little to plane the whole top or back to final thickness
Another option to find a guy with a drum sander is at Woodcraft or Rockler stores. Just ask if they know anyone who can do it for you....or maybe Craigslist

Also: if you bought the plane at Lowes it probably needs the sole flattened and the blade sharpened. Almost any new plane needs to be set up. Another thing to ask about at the woodworking center

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Beth
Last Name: Mayer
City: Tucson
State: AZ
welcome and good luck! +1 on not thicknessing before jointing and joining the plates. Also, don't go too thin, especially if using toothed blade or having to smooth tearout, or you may not have enough thickness left for structural purposes. Have fun :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lonnie
Last Name: Barber
City: Manchester
State: Tennessee
Zip/Postal Code: 37355
Welcome good advice above here nothing I could help except to re-inforce what Beth said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
You may have better luck locating a custom cabinet shop with a wide belt sander than a luthier/guitar maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
You've gotten some good advise her. We have all been where you are right now.

Quine is right, if you just got the plane at a home center it certainly needs to be set up and sharpened. Spend some time with google and learn about planes, set-up and sharpening. Then practice on scrap. It takes time to learn how to plane properly. Once you have a well tuned and sharpened plane you will start having better success and begin to get a feel for planing. Get a bunch of scrap and make a bunch of shavings.

I have limited experience with jatoba but I have always found it a dream to plane despite the interlocking grain. A sharp blade will make a huge difference.

When I was starting out, I did not have a decent plane or know how to use it. I got really frustrated and just built a thickness sander. I'm glad I did because I wouldn't want to make instruments without it but I would have been well served to spend my time learning to plane in those early days. So while you are learning to use hand planes, keep on the look out for a person with a thickness sander. It is nice to be able to keep moving on the first builds and not get stalled out.

Make sure you post pictures!

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.